Inflation in Pakistan 31 percent in a weekJuly 5th, 2008 - 8:49 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, July 5 (ANI): Latest figures issued by Pakistan’s Federal Bureau of Statistics indicate that inflation has jumped over 31 per cent during the last one week.
This is first instance of inflation jumping to a record high in the history of Pakistan, lending an urgency to the need for Government intervention to hold millions of people falling into poverty trap.
The figures show that the prices of goods and services for the lowest income group increased as much as 31.6 per cent during the week ended on July 3 as compared to the same week of the last year.
The official figures, which are based on Sensitive Price index (SPI) showed that out of surveyed 53 items, the prices of 45 products mainly essential food commodities increased during the last week (June 27 to July 3) as compared to the same week of the last year.
Most of the economists say the government is partly responsible for current wave of inflation. They say other than ‘imported inflation’, caused by high-energy prices, the ‘homegrown inflation’ is also becoming problematic. (ANI)
- Food inflation soars to 'disturbing' level of 10.05 percent - Sep 01, 2011
- Inflation rises to 8.62 percent in September - Oct 15, 2010
- Food inflation returns to double digit at 11.4 percent - Aug 12, 2010
- Rising inflation: Pranab Mukherjee asks CMs to crack down on hoarders - Jan 07, 2011
- Food inflation rises to 9.80 percent; Pranab expresses concern - Aug 25, 2011
- Food prices fall; inflation will continue to moderate: Pranab (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Food inflation continues in the negative - Jan 12, 2012
- High inflation remains a cause of concern: C Rangarajan - Jan 06, 2011
- Govt. taking all steps to check price rise: Mukherjee - Jan 09, 2011
- China's inflation hits three-year high in June - Jul 09, 2011
- Britain's consumer spending slows in March - Apr 24, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee expresses concern over food inflation - Jan 06, 2011
- India's inflation rises to 8.31 per cent - Mar 14, 2011
- Vegetables, pulses push inflation to 19.83 per cent - Dec 31, 2009
- Food inflation cools down to 12.9 percent - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: bureau of statistics, economists, energy prices, federal bureau of statistics, first instance, food commodities, government intervention, high energy, history of pakistan, homegrown, income group, inflation, june 27, poverty trap, price index, spi, urgency