Infiltration from Bangladesh cannot be completely plugged, says BSF chiefNovember 30th, 2007 - 2:04 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Nov 30 (ANI): Border Security Force (BSF) Director General A K Mitra has said that it was impossible to stop infiltration along Indias porous borders with Bangladesh.
“I believe that we cannot completely control infiltration through the India-Bangladesh border. But that doesn’t mean we stop our efforts towards achieving the same. It is very porous border and even today many areas are not fenced because of geographical barriers,” said Mitra.
India shares a 4096-kilometer border with Bangladesh out of which the land border stretch is around 2979 kilometers and the remaining 1116-kilometer stretch in the riverline border, only 66 percent of fencing of the total stretch is complete.
New Delhi estimates there are up to 20 million illegal Bangladeshi immigrants in India. Bangladesh denies the charges.
India is building a barbed wire fence to prevent unauthorized movement of people across the border.
Dhaka does not oppose the fencing per se, but objects when it is built too close to the zero line on the land and river line border. (ANI)
- River erosion upsets BSF at India-Bangladesh border - May 08, 2012
- Choppers, anti-mine vehicles to aid BSF troopers - Jan 18, 2011
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- Indo-Bangla border to be fenced by March 2010: BSF chief (Lead) - Nov 24, 2009
- Tripura seeks fencing on actual border - Nov 25, 2011
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
- Bangladesh relaxes norms for India to erect border fence - Apr 08, 2011
- Bangladesh against fencing at border zero-line: Sarkar - Mar 05, 2012
- Bangladesh objections hold up Tripura projects: Minister - Aug 04, 2012
- Gold from Bangladesh seized, one detained - Sep 03, 2012
- Tripura offers land, housing to poor families - Jul 05, 2012
- Tripura villagers affected by border fencing to step up stir - May 12, 2011
- India, Bangladesh border guards exchange saplings (With Image) - Aug 19, 2012
- 'Infiltration from Bangladesh impacting demography' - Oct 21, 2011
- Dismantle 90 camps of northeast militants, BSF to tell Bangladesh - Nov 04, 2009
Tags: across the border, bangladesh, barbed wire fence, border security force, borders, bsf, dhaka, fencing, geographical barriers, India, infiltration, kilometer stretch, land border, line border, mitra, New Delhi, per se, riverline, zero line