Infiltration continues in Kashmir: Lt. Gen. A.S. SekhonNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:17 am ICT by admin
“The attempts are still being made. So, that means there are people in sufficient numbers, some may be under their control, some may not be under their control. But the fact remains that the infrastructure is still there,” Sekhon said on the sidelines of a seminar on Thursday.
He further said that army has vacated schools and hospitals occupied by them.
“The army has vacated all the schools. We are not occupying any school. Some schools were occupied but we have vacated them. All the dispensary buildings where the army (was) present have also been vacated,” he added.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony, on a recent visit to Srinagar, announced that all forces stationed on school and hospital premises would vacate them by November 30.
But the government has refused to cut troops immediately saying militant attacks have not completely died down.
According to defence experts, there are between 400,000 and 500,000 troops in Kashmir with many camping in schools, hospitals, and on other private and government property. (ANI)
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
- LOC fencing extensively damaged by heavy snowfall, says commander - Feb 25, 2012
- Army chief calls on Omar Abdullah in Srinagar - Jun 16, 2012
- Peace winds blow in Kashmir Valley - Sep 19, 2011
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Top army officer reviews alert on China border - Jan 12, 2011
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Army officer cremated with full military honours - Aug 22, 2011
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Dec 29, 2010
- Indian Army celebrates Kargil war Victory Day - Jul 26, 2011
- Over 400 militants waiting to enter valley: Army - May 23, 2012
- Artillery exchanges between India and Pakistan on LoC - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: antony, army, attempts, ceasefire line, defence experts, defence minister, dispensary, government property, hospital premises, hospitals, infiltration, kashmir, lieutenant general, lt, militant attacks, rebels, sidelines, srinagar