Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir, one guerrilla killedMarch 26th, 2009 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 26 (IANS) Security forces in Kashmir foiled an incursion bid from across the border with Pakistan, gunning down a militant Thursday, a day after the end of the long-drawn gunfight in north Kashmir that left 17 guerrillas and eight troopers dead.
One terrorist was killed when security forces fired at an infiltrating group in Gurez sector of the Line of Control (LoC) - the de facto border that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
A defence ministry spokesman said the soldiers detected and challenged a group of infiltrators in Gurez sector of Bandipore district in the afternoon.
“The terrorists opened fire at the security forces which was returned, leading to a gunfight which is continuing,” defence spokesman Lt. Col. J.S. Brar told IANS here.
The infiltration bid comes just after the six-day battle in Shamsbhari mountain range of Kupwara district ended Wednesday.
The army says mopping-up operations are continuing in Kupwara.
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Seven guerrillas, soldier killed in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2010
- Three terrorists killed in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2010
- Eight militants killed in two Kashmir gun fights (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Seven militants killed in two separate encounters in Kashmir - Sep 06, 2010
- Woman dies in Kashmir crossfire - Aug 22, 2011
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Army foils major infiltration bid, five guerrillas killed - Aug 20, 2011
- Army foils infiltration bid, two intruders killed - May 26, 2010
- Artillery exchanges between India and Pakistan on LoC - Sep 01, 2011
- Three terrorists killed, gunfight on in Kashmir - Oct 23, 2010
- Guerrilla killed, soldier wounded in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: army, brar, defence ministry spokesman, defence spokesman, guerrilla, guerrillas, gunfight, incursion, india and pakistan, infiltration, infiltrators, kashmir, loc, lt, north kashmir, security forces, terrorist, terrorists