Indore hoists giant national flag on Republic DayJanuary 26th, 2009 - 11:54 pm ICT by ANI
By Rajni Khaitan
Indore, Jan. 26 (ANI): As the nation commemorated its 60th Republic Day on Monday, people in Indores Gandhi Chowk were thrilled to salute a giant national flag, which many described as the highest flag of the country.
Madhya Pradesh Finance Minister Raghavji hoisted the special flag, which measured 21 x 14 feet and was unfurled over an 80-feet iron pole here.
According to the organiser, the inspiration to unfurl the giant flag was derived from the recent Mumbai terror attack.
When Mumbai terror attack took place, at that time whole Mumbai came together to raise their voice against terrorism. We also got inspired from that and we wanted to do something similar to that, that’’s why we organised this flag hoisting ceremony to show to the world that we are united, said Prakash Rathor, the organiser.
The Mumbai Anti-Terrorist Squad chief Hemant Karkare and others killed in the terror attack in countrys national capital during the three-day Nov.26 Mumbai seize, gave inspiration to a Jaipur artist who made this giant flag.
“I am passionate about making images of the martyrs, it’’s my way of paying homage to them. I started making images of martyrs from 1999, during Kargil war I had made images of all the martyrs from Rajasthan state,” said Chandra Prakash, the flagmaker.
Prakash doesn”t sell off his portraits inspired by the martyrs, as his expression of gratitude for those who sacrificed their lives for the nation. He rather gifts these paintings to the families of the martyrs. (ANI)
- Indore hoists Indias largest flag on Republic Day - Jan 26, 2009
- Digvijay Singh sparks new storm with Karkare remark (Roundup) - Dec 11, 2010
- Advani's Rath Yatra root of terrorism in India: Digvijay - Jan 28, 2011
- Maharashtra's largest tricolour unfurled in NDA (With Images) - Apr 28, 2012
- Rajnath demands probe against Digvijay - Dec 11, 2010
- I stand by my remarks on Karkare: Digvijay Singh - Dec 14, 2010
- Muslim group pays homage to martyr Hemant Karkare in New Delhi - Nov 26, 2009
- Maharashtra observes peaceful I-Day celebrations - Aug 15, 2010
- Digvijay's remarks on Karkare personal, says Congress - Dec 11, 2010
- Digvijay's remarks on Karkare unfortunate, says BJP - Dec 11, 2010
- Tight security ensures quiet I-Day in Mumbai - Aug 15, 2011
- Giant national flag hoisted at Kargil war memorial - Jul 27, 2012
- Digvijay Singh using language of divide: BJP - Dec 28, 2010
- Pragya Thakur alleges Sonia, Digvijay, Pawar behind Malegaon blasts - Apr 26, 2011
- 26/11 survivors live with ugly scars and deafening silence (Three years after the 26/11 attack) - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: chandra prakash, chowk, expression of gratitude, finance minister, gandhi, giant flag, Images, inspiration, iron pole, khaitan, martyrs, mumbai, national flag, paintings, paying homage, portraits, republic day, terror attack, terrorism