Indo-Pak cross-border trade affected after bridge collapse in KashmirJuly 31st, 2010 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
By N. S Sasan
Poonch (Jammu and Kashmir), July 31 (ANI): Cross border trade between India and Pakistan is likely to be affected following the collapse of a bridge at Chakan Da- Bagh.
The bridge is the only trade link between the people of Poonch and Rawlakot.
“In the morning, certain officials came for inspection but no step has been taken till now. In the days to come the cross border trade will be badly hit. The trade centre will have to bear the brunt of colossal losses,” said Mohhamad Qasim, a local.
Officials of the district administration claimed that they had inspected the area and a temporary bridge will be constructed soon.
“This bridge had been constructed by the GREF (General Reserve Engineering Force), so I had a talk with those people and they have said that a temporary bridge will be constructed by tomorrow,” said Kuldeep Lal Khajuria, District Development Commissioner, Poonch.
Consequently, there is no possibility of any trade across the Line of Control (LoC) on Tuesday and also the bus service on Monday.
The bridge collapse has also led to loss of communication links along and across the LoC as phone cables have also been washed away.
There is no other alternate road for army vehicles to reach the LoC, which is 10 kilometres from this spot of collapsed bridge.
This bridge on Rangar Nallah connects Poonch with Pakistan Administered Kashmir. (ANI)
- Indo-Pak cross-border trade bridge reconstructed in Kashmir - Aug 02, 2010
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Kashmir mulls re-opening of other pre-Partition routes - Mar 31, 2011
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Pakistani soldier repatriated - Jul 13, 2012
- Pakistan Army returns two Indian teenagers - May 29, 2011
- Pakistan Army returns two Indian teenagers (Lead) - May 29, 2011
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Cross-LOC trade helps outsiders more, say Jammu locals - Mar 14, 2011
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- India and Pakistan traders hold meet in Poonch Distrcit of J-K - Oct 14, 2010
- Indian Army arrests Pakistani soldier in Jammu - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: army vehicles, bagh, border trade, bridge collapse, brunt, chakan, collapsed bridge, cross border, development commissioner, district administration, gref, india and pakistan, jammu and kashmir, kuldeep, lal, phone cables, poonch, rawlakot, sasan, temporary bridge