India’s Tejas, light combat helicopter dazzle participants at Aero IndiaFebruary 9th, 2011 - 2:48 pm ICT by ANI
By Praful Kumar Singh
Bangalore, Feb 9 (ANI): India’s own first supersonic multi-role combat aircraft Tejas and light combat helicopter (LCH) dazzled participants at the Aero India 2011 on Wednesday with their breathtaking aerobatic manouveres at Air Force Station Yelhanka.
It was for the first time that India’s indigenously developed fighter, including a trainer variant and a naval variant, were on display in a combat-related role on the outskirts of Bangalore.
The Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA) has been on view at two previous editions of the biennial international trade exhibition, but either on the ground or as part of a fly-past.
The light combat helicopter is a multi-role chopper being developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for use by the Indian Air Force and the Indian Army.
The light combat helicopter is considered to be the world’s smallest military aircraft with a single seat, and is among top eight aircraft in the world in technological design and performance terms.
Tejas, which was under development for nearly 28 years and beat US sanctions, is a state of the art indigenous combat aircraft, and could go a long way in enhancing national security and pride.
The state-run Aeronautical Defence Agency has developed the LCA.
The F404-GE-IN20 engine from the US-based General Electric powers the fighter, as the indigenously developed Kaveri engine is still undergoing advance trials. (ANI)
- India's indigenous fighter to soar high at aero show (Lead, With Images) - Feb 07, 2011
- India's own first supersonic fighter Tejas to join Air Force today - Jan 10, 2011
- India to flaunt indigenous fighter at aero show - Feb 07, 2011
- India's own first supersonic fighter Tejas handed to Air Force - Jan 10, 2011
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- South Asia's largest aero show takes off Wednesday - Feb 08, 2011
- India's own fighter jet Tejas to join air force Monday - Jan 09, 2011
- India to form indigenous Tejas fighter squadron by 2013 (Lead, with Images) - Jan 10, 2011
- IAF wants more improvements in Tejas: Antony - Feb 07, 2011
- Technical snag cuts short indigenous chopper's flight - Feb 10, 2011
- GE engine set to power India's indigenous combat fighter (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
- India's fighter jet will be reality at last: Antony - Feb 02, 2010
- India test flies naval variant of LCA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Advanced version of indigenous combat jet by 2015 - Feb 09, 2011
- Indigenous Tejas combat jet to feature at R-Day parade - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: 28 years, aero india, bangalore, chopper, combat helicopter, defence agency, general electric, hindustan aeronautics limited, indian air force, indian army, international trade exhibition, lca, light combat aircraft, military aircraft, outskirts, performance terms, praful, previous editions, technological design, tejas