India’’s only cosmonaut flies in Boeing FA-18 Super Hornet in BangaloreFebruary 14th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Feb 14 (ANI): India’’s only cosmonaut, Wing Commander (retired) Rakesh Sharma flew in the Boeing-made FA-18 Super Hornet at Aero India 2009 in Bangalore on Friday.
Dressed in the pilot overhauls, Sharma (60) almost logged one-hour sortie as a part of the promotional flight programme by Boeing.
Incidentally, Boeing has bid for the Indian Air Force (IAF) medium multi-role combat aircraft deal.
After the flight, Sharma said that he enjoyed every moment of being in the flying suit and the zero gravity situation inside a cockpit.
“It has been extremely exciting and it’’s really nice to get back to the life that I once knew. It’’s good to smell oxygen mask again. I thoroughly enjoyed this opportunity, which I got once again,” he added.
Sharma as a Squadron Leader in 1984 had embarked on the space journey to become the first ever Indian spaceman as part of a joint programme between the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the Soviet Inter-Cosmos space programme.
He spent eight days in space on board the Salyut 7 space station. He joined two other Soviet cosmonauts aboard the Soyuz T-11 spacecraft, which had blastedoff on April 2, 1984.
An ace test pilot, he retired as a Wing Commander from the IAF in 2001. (ANI)
- Russian cosmonaut to speak on 50 years of human space flight - Jun 03, 2011
- 26th anniversary of first Indian in space Monday - Apr 03, 2010
- India's space odyssey: A timeline (To go with ISRO's 100th mission story) - Sep 09, 2012
- Russia may send woman to ISS - Dec 08, 2011
- HAL's Baldev Singh was ace fighter pilot - Oct 12, 2011
- New space station crew in orbit - May 15, 2012
- India test flies naval variant of LCA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- And now, Indian cosmonaut flies Boeing fighter jet - Feb 13, 2009
- First Boeing C-17s to arrive in India by mid-2013 - Aug 01, 2012
- India readies to evaluate C-17 airlifter - Jun 24, 2010
- IAF says pilot did not refuse to fly Rahul - Sep 12, 2012
- First woman in space turns 75 - Mar 06, 2012
- New crew head for space from same launch pad used by Yuri Gagarin - Apr 05, 2011
- Naveen Jindal flies French Rafael at Bangalore's Aero India show - Feb 12, 2011
- Who's Who of world signed on his pictures (With Image) - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: aero india, aircraft deal, combat aircraft, days in space, fa 18 super hornet, flying suit, indian air force, indian space research, indian space research organisation, isro, oxygen mask, salyut 7, soviet cosmonauts, soyuz, space journey, spaceman, squadron leader, test pilot, wing commander, zero gravity