Indian Railways dedicates Kalka-Shimla rail track to nationNovember 9th, 2008 - 8:08 pm ICT by ANI
!– NO IMAGE –
Kalka (Haryana), Nov 9 (ANI): Indian Railways dedicated the Kalka-Shimla railway line to the nation as world heritage track after being declared by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as a World Heritage.
In a vibrant ceremony laced with cultural performance at Kalka station in Haryana, union Minister of State for Railways R. Velu dedicated over a century old Kalka-Shimla rail track by unveiling the plaque on Sunday.
The entire world know that such a railway, such a wonderful system is here, said Velu.
The railway track, which traverses Haryana and neighbouring Himachal Pradesh, is expected to boost tourism of the two states as the certification from UNSECO puts it on the world map of cultural attractions.
It has been great thing for Haryana that this is the first UNESCO heritage site for Haryana and Railways has only two railway tracks, one in Darjeeling and one here. In fact this has been a great achievement for tourism, said Keshni Anand Arora, tourism commissioner of Haryana.
The Kalka-Shimla narrow gauge railway was approved for World Heritage status on July 07 this year, in addition to new sites in nine other countries that received the nod from the panel meeting in Canada.
The toy train, so called because of its smaller size and snail’’s pace speed, presents an old-world charm.
Built by the British in 1903, the train has been well greased by the Indian railways to keep it chugging for more than a century.
The six-hour journey from Kalka to Shimla takes the train through 107 tunnels and connects a number of hill resorts, including Dharampore, Taksal, Gamma and Solan.
The journey offers the passengers a picturesque view of the Himalayan valleys and the train has become very popular with tourists, not only from India, but also abroad.
The other Indian railway sites like Darjeeling Himalayan toy train, Nilgiri Mountain Railway and Chhatrapati Shivaji railway station are already on the UNESCO list. (ANI)
- Heritage walk to spread awareness about Kalka-Shimla railway line - Jul 05, 2010
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- Forest fire disrupts Kalka-Shimla rail traffic - Apr 19, 2010
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Group travel? Charter a train to Shimla (With Images) - May 17, 2010
- Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy train - Dec 23, 2010
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Love on track - on Kalka-Shimla train - Apr 29, 2010
- Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stopped - Jul 09, 2009
Tags: chhatrapati shivaji, darjeeling, haryana, hill resorts, himalayan valleys, indian railway, indian railways, minister of state, mountain railway, narrow gauge railway, picturesque view, railway line, railway track, toy train, unesco heritage, union minister, united nations educational scientific and cultural orga, world charm, world heritage status, world map