Indian Navy takes up the task of cleaning beaches in VizagSeptember 20th, 2008 - 6:46 pm ICT by ANI
Vizag (Andhra Pradesh), Sept 20 (ANI): The Indian Navy took up an intensive cleaning drive at the Vizag beach in Andhra Pradesh to mark the World Beach cleaning day on Saturday.
The drive aimed to spread awareness about the rising pollution level, witnessed active participation of almost 1200 people. Apart from the naval officials the participants included students, and family members of the naval officials.
A 21-kilometer long stretch between the Yarrada beach to Rishikonda beach was cleaned up under this campaign.
With pollution becoming a major threat to our country we have embarked upon this project of cleaning up the coast. Today the navy is cleaning the coast right from Yarrada beach to Rishikonda beach. We have got people from ships, submarines our families have joined and children from naval schools and other organizations have joined us in this endeavor, said Sumit Kumar Shetty, Commodore Incharge of Andhra Pradesh.
The students believe that such drives would not only maintain the cleanliness but also bring the beach into limelight.
To organize a function decorations like plastics are used they are non biodegradable and also cause soil pollution. Even beaches of Goa and Golden beach of Chennai are very popular. It is very unfortunate that Vizag beach is not as popular as them. If we organize this beach function every week it will be very helpful to make Vizag beach a popular one, said Sowjanya, a student.
Piles of plastic bags and plastic wrappers thrown everywhere across the beach, immersion of idols, runoff of the sewage are the main reason for pollution of the beaches, apart from mishaps like oil spills. (ANI)
- Plastic pollution in sea reaches alarming levels - Jul 05, 2012
- International coastal cleanup day observed in Chennai, Mumbai - Sep 19, 2009
- Whistleblowers with a difference - on 'clean Shimla' mission (Letter from Shimla) - Aug 14, 2012
- Students clean up Juhu beach after Ganesh immersion in Mumbai - Sep 23, 2010
- Kanheri Caves made part of 'Clean India' campaign - Aug 03, 2012
- Coast Guard organizes anti-pollution walkathon in Chennai - Jan 08, 2011
- Bits of plastic endangering sea creatures - Apr 18, 2012
- US Navy jet crashes, pilots safe - Apr 07, 2012
- Dubai to carry out beach cleaning drive - Feb 10, 2012
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- NCC cadets in Kolkata clean up drive - Mar 11, 2012
- Somali pirates striking off Lakshadweep: Navy - Dec 02, 2011
- Himachal's eco drive gets prime minister's award - Apr 21, 2011
- Corporates go green on World Environment Day - Jun 05, 2010
- The 'garbage girl' of the mountains - May 16, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, cleanliness, commodore, endeavor, goa, immersion, incharge, indian navy, limelight, long stretch, naval officials, piles, plastic bags, plastic wrappers, plastics, pollution level, runoff, sewage, soil pollution, submarines