Indian Navy mulling increase in warships to fight Somalian piratesNovember 20th, 2008 - 7:25 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.20 (ANI): A senior officer of the Indian Navy on Thursday said that the Indian Government is seriously considering a proposal to increase the number of warships in the Gulf of Aden to counter piracy in the area.
Speaking off the record, the naval officer said: “Yes, we are considering a proposal to increase the number of warships in Gulf of Aden to fight the pirates and to protect merchant ships flying the Indian flag.”
India currently has a stealth guided missile frigate in the Gulf of Aden and the warship, INS Tabar.
The latter successfully defended two merchant vessels that came under pirate attack last week and sank a mother ship of the sea brigands on Wednesday.
The Ministry of Shipping is said to have forwarded the proposal for the increase the number of warships, sources said.
The Navy is of the view that that deploying its warships and other assets indefinitely is next to impossible.
India is seeking a collaborative effort at the international level to ward off the piracy menace. (ANI)
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Indian Navy installs anti-piracy device on warships - Sep 29, 2011
- India's new frigate INS Teg to be inducted April 27 - Apr 20, 2012
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Indian cargo ship hijacked by Somali pirates off Oman - Jan 12, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Ship unresponsive, Indian Navy calls off escort (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Coast Guard plane chases pirates away off Lakshadweep - Jan 28, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: assets, brigands, collaborative effort, guided missile frigate, gulf of aden, India, indian flag, indian government, indian navy, ins, merchant ships, merchant vessels, mother ship, New Delhi, piracy, pirate attack, proposal, somalian pirates, stealth, warships