Indian Navy captures 28 Somali pirates near Lakshadweep islandsFebruary 7th, 2011 - 5:07 pm ICT by ANI
Lakshadweep, Feb 7 (ANI): In a major coordinated operation, the Indian Navy and the Coast Guard personnel apprehended a pirate mother ship Prantlaya 11 along with 28 Somali pirates in the Arabian Sea.
The ship was apprehended about 100 nautical miles off the coast of Lakshadweep Islands near Kavaratti on Sunday.
The Western Naval Command of the Indian Navy received inputs from its warships on Saturday that a Greek-flagged merchant ship MV Chios had experienced a concerted attack from pirates using high-speed skiffs about 100 nautical miles west off Kavaratti islands.
Indian Naval forces deployed INS Tir to track the ship.
The Kochi-based command had also launched a Dornier aircraft, which eventually located the pirate skiffs and the mother vessel.
INS Tir and CGS Samar, a coast guard vessel, surrounded the pirate ship following which the pirates opened fire on the ships and later signalled their intention to surrender.
During the operation, three pirates were reported injured.
The 28 pirates, who have been arrested, are all of Somali origin.
The Indian Navy also rescued 24 Thai fishermen, who were being held hostage aboard the trawler. They were all transferred to the CGS Samar.
The coast guard ship is now en route to Mumbai, with the Prantlaya in tow. (ANI)
- Combating piracy is top most priority of Indian Navy, Coast Guard: Antony - Feb 07, 2011
- Another menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Feb 06, 2011
- Indian Navy, Coast Guard foil another piracy attempt (Lead) - Feb 06, 2011
- Indian Navy, Coast Guard apprehend pirate ship - Feb 06, 2011
- Navy, coast guard ships sink pirate mother-vessel - Jan 29, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates, shot dead - Feb 16, 2012
- Another piracy attempt foiled, 16 pirates held - Mar 27, 2011
- Menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Jan 29, 2011
- After anti-piracy mission, INS Cankarso returns home - Feb 02, 2011
- Somali pirates operating close to Indian shores a disturbing trend: Navy Chief - Jan 31, 2011
- Indian Navy foils pirate attack on Chinese vessel - May 06, 2011
- India on radar of terrorists, getting threats everyday: Antony - Dec 24, 2010
- Indian Navy, Coast Guard avert pirate threat to merchant vessel - Mar 06, 2010
- Indian Navy plans base in Lakshadweep - Jan 23, 2011
Tags: arabian sea, being held hostage, chios, coast guard ship, coast guard vessel, concerted attack, dornier aircraft, indian navy, lakshadweep islands, merchant ship, mother ship, nautical miles west, naval command, pirate ship, samar, skiffs, somali pirates, thai fishermen, trawler, warships