Indian Government may hike petrol price by Rs 2 a litre, diesel by Re 1June 22nd, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 22 (ANI): Unstable international oil rates may force the Government of India to increase petrol price by Rs 2 a litre and diesel by Re 1 per litre, unless excise duty on both the fuels is cut to neutralise the increase.
According to reports, state fuel retailers- Indian Oil, Hindustan Petroleum and Bharat Petroleum- incur a loss of Rs 135 crore per day on sale of petrol, diesel, LPG and kerosene. While their annual revenue loss for current fiscal is estimated to be at Rs 38,700 crore.
“The basket of crude oil India imports has averaged $70.49 per barrel in the second fortnight of June against the May average of $58, sending alarm bells ringing,” said a petroleum ministry official.
“We have to act to save our PSU. The burden of rising global oil prices has to be shared equally between the companies, the government and consumers,” he added.
PSUs lose Rs 2.96 a litre on diesel and Rs 6.08 per litre on petrol.
“One-third of this or Rs 2 per litre on petrol and Re 1 on diesel can be passed on to consumers. Rest of the losses would be covered by issue of government bonds to the retailers and subsidy sharing by upstream firms like ONGC,” he said.
Currently, petrol attracts an excise duty of Rs 11.35 per litre and diesel Rs 1.60 a litre. Apart from this another Rs 2 a litre is charged as road cess on the two fuels.
“If the finance minister Pranab Mukhejree cuts excise duty on the two fuels, consumers can be spared from price hike,” he said. (ANI)
- Petrol costlier in India than in neighbours, US - Nov 29, 2011
- No alternative to petrol price hike: Deora - Jan 17, 2011
- Petrol, diesel costlier from April 1 in 13 cities - Mar 31, 2010
- Government compelled to hike fuel price: Reddy - Aug 04, 2011
- Oil companies to bear Rs.121,571 crore under-recoveries: Reddy - Oct 19, 2011
- Public fumes, as petrol prices hiked again (Roundup) - Sep 15, 2011
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Oil firms mulling another price hike - Nov 01, 2011
- Hike likely in diesel, LPG, kerosene prices - Sep 05, 2012
- No plans to raise diesel prices, roll back petrol rate: Jaipal - Jan 20, 2011
- Reddy rules out diesel price hike - Jan 20, 2011
- May consider reduction of diesel subsidy : Reddy - Feb 15, 2012
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- Pranab urge states to cut levies on diesel, LPG - Jun 27, 2011
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
Tags: alarm bells, bells ringing, bharat petroleum, consumers rest, crore, excise duty, finance minister, fuel retailers, global oil prices, government bonds, government of india, hindustan petroleum, india imports, indian oil, international oil, oil india, ongc, petroleum ministry, price hike, rs 2