Indian envoys meet Sri Lankan PresidentMay 21st, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, May 21 (ANI): India’s National Security Advisor M. K. Narayanan and Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon on Thursday met Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and sought a political solution to the Tamil question.
Narayanan and Menon, who met Rajapaksa at a close door breakfast meeting at his Temple Trees residence here, offered India’s help in the reconstruction effort following elimination of the LTTE.
According to officials, both sides have discussed post-conflict reconstruction in Sri Lanka following the defeat of the LTTE. There is also a demand for the death certificate of Prabhakaran, which may be used as part of the investigation into Rajiv Gandhi’s assassination case.
The war between the LTTE and the Sri Lankan Government lasted for over three decades and claimed over a lakh lives. It ended with the death of LTTE supremo V. Prabhakaran in a firefight in northern Sri Lanka three days ago.
India has prepared a Rs. 500 crore rehabilitation package for the displaced people in Sri Lanka.
Prime Minister has already announced a Rs. 100-crore relief package for Lankan Tamils in addition to the Rs. 25 crore aid given by Tamil Nadu government.
India has been asking Sri Lanka to take political steps to ensure “effective devolution of power” so that Tamils in the island nation could live with dignity.
Ahead of their visit, Narayanan met Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi and briefed him about the developments in Sri Lanka.
Narayanan said that India’s primary concern is to ensure that Sri Lankan Tamil civilians are taken care of. (ANI)
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- NSA, Menon to meet Rajapaksa, press for political solution (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Menon, Rao heading to Colombo for weekend talks - Jun 09, 2011
- India hopes Rajapaksa will fulfil Tamil promise - Jan 27, 2010
- India supports Sri Lankan reconciliation, to stay engaged - Jun 29, 2012
- Indian envoys to meet Sri Lankan President - May 21, 2009
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- PM reminds Rajapaksa India's key role in Geneva - Mar 24, 2012
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka issues travel warning for southern India - Sep 04, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil refugees, devolution (Second Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: breakfast meeting, government india, ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, narayanan, national security advisor, northern sri lanka, political steps, prabhakaran, president mahinda rajapaksa, rajiv gandhi, reconstruction effort, shiv shankar menon, sri lankan government, sri lankan president, sri lankan tamil, tamil civilians, tamil nadu government, temple trees, three decades