Indian artist makes a wooden replica of the Taj MahalFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 2:43 pm ICT by ANI
By Sharda Lehengir
Bargarh (Orissa), Feb 23 (ANI): An artist in Orissa unleashed his creativity to make a wooden replica of the Taj Mahal, one of the ”Seven Wonders of the World”.
Arun Kumar Meher, an artist adept in wooden art in Bargarh district took three months to create the five feet high and ten feet wide wooden replica.
“Not everyone can go to Agra to see the actual Taj Mahal made by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz. So, for those who have not witnessed the monument, my work will give them an idea of how it actually looks like,” Meher said.
Different shades of Sal wood were used for making the replica. No external colours were added to it.
Locals in the area have expressed appreciation, but believe it deserves greater recognition.
“The art piece made by Arun Kumar is something unique and should be displayed at an exhibition,” said Gajendra Singh, a local.
The Taj Mahal was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (1625-1666), the grandson of Akbar, in the memory of his beloved queen Mumtaz Mahal.
The construction of the monument began in 1631 and was completed in 1653. Twenty thousand people were deployed to work on it. The material was brought in from all over India and Central Asia. It is said that 1000 elephants were used to transport the material to the main site.
Taj Mahal is one of the most popular tourist places in the world, attracting around 20,000 visitors daily. (ANI)
- Shah Jahan's Urs begins at Taj Mahal - Jul 10, 2010
- Shah Jahan's 357th Urs celebrated at Taj Mahal - Jun 19, 2012
- Shah Jahan urs: Conservationists oppose free entry to Taj - Jun 28, 2011
- Taj beckons Games athletes, visitors - Oct 02, 2010
- No free entry to Taj for CWG visitors - Oct 03, 2010
- 'Mohabbat-the-Taj' - new attraction for tourists in Taj City - Aug 01, 2011
- Taj Mahal rakes in Rs.19 crore revenue from ticket sales - Jul 28, 2011
- Shah Jahan's Urs celebrated at Taj Mahal in Agra - Jul 12, 2010
- India's Mughal era artistic legacy on display in US - Jul 26, 2012
- Installation of audio guide system at Taj Mahal disappoints its lovers - Apr 27, 2011
- Lovebirds to flock to Taj on V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- Filming the Taj - a pointless exercise? - Aug 15, 2011
- Taj Mahal gets mudpack facial, courtesy rumoured visits by Obama, Sarkozy - Oct 27, 2010
- Light and Sound show revived to draw tourists to Agra - Aug 01, 2010
- Bharat Ratna demanded for Bahadur Shah Zafar - Jun 29, 2011
Tags: akbar, art piece, arun kumar, beloved queen, central asia, elephants, emperor shah jahan, five feet, gajendra singh, indian artist, orissa, places in the world, queen mumtaz mahal, seven wonders, taj mahal, ten feet, tourist places, wonders of the world, wooden art, wooden replica