Indian Army seeks Guinness entry through Assam forest plantation driveJune 14th, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
Dhubri (Assam), June 14 (ANI): Troops of the Indian Army’s 21 Jat regiment, also known as the Red Horns Division, are seeking to enter the Guinness Book of World Records by planting 500,000 tree saplings in Assam’s Dhubri District.About 300 army personnel began planting saplings in the bare Shreegram Reserve Forest of Dhubri district in Assam at around 3:00 p.m. (IST)on Friday. They were to complete the task on Saturday afternoon. A report on whether the record was achieved or not is awaited.
Army officials believe that such an effort by the Indian Army will spread awareness about the benefits of planting trees.
“The aim of this record is to create awareness among people regarding plantation of trees. We have witnessed deforestation, erosion and encroachment taking place here since the last three years. People here do plant trees but they don’t fence them,” said J.S Sekhawat, an officer of Red Horns Division.
State forest authorities have helped the army in terms of providing land, saplings, fencing and necessary guidance to achieve the record. The preparation for the record began 10 months ago.
The current record in the category of most saplings planted in 24 hours is held by Durango, city of Mexico, where 348 thousands saplings were planted. (ANI)
- Assam's Guinness bid: 40,885 saplings planted in an hour - Apr 29, 2012
- In Delhi, government spends Rs.950 on every plant! - Sep 02, 2012
- Four anti-talks NDFB cadres nabbed in Assam - Apr 30, 2012
- Pakistani man sets tree plantation world record - Sep 29, 2010
- Punjab to plant over one crore saplings this monsoon - Jun 27, 2011
- Locals detain 75 suspected Bangladeshis in Assam - Mar 17, 2012
- Assam Rifles to plant 10,000 trees in Mizoram - Jul 04, 2012
- Nitish Kumar gives month's salary for green Bihar drive - Sep 03, 2011
- After politicians, officials to plant trees in Bihar - Sep 12, 2011
- Visually-challenged students plant saplings in Kolkata - Jun 06, 2012
- Punjab to plant trees along all highways - Apr 14, 2012
- Of loss, and love for a 30,000-member 'green family' (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- Pakistan sets Guinness record by planting 541,176 saplings - Jul 17, 2009
- Delhi starts planting one million trees (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Bihar ministers, legislator donate salary for green cause - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: 10 months, army officials, army personnel, assam, book of world records, encroachment, erosion, fencing, forest authorities, guinness book of world, guinness book of world records, horns, indian army, necessary guidance, plant trees, plantation drive, planting trees, saturday afternoon, state forest, tree saplings