Indian Army Northern Command gets new chiefMarch 1st, 2008 - 5:25 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, March 1 (IANS) Lt. Gen. P.C. Bhardwaj Saturday took over as the chief of the Udhampur-based Northern Command of the Indian Army. Bhardwaj succeeds Lt. Gen. H.S. Panag, who has been transferred as the commander of the Lucknow-based Central Command.
Before taking charge, Bhardwaj was commanding the Leh-based 14 Corps of the Indian Army that looks after the frontiers with China, the Pakistani Kashmir and also guards the Siachen glacier, the highest battlefield in the world.
Bhardwaj has vast experience in the terror-hit Jammu and Kashmir having been the Brigadier General Staff at Nagrota, the headquarters of 16 Corps in 2000-01, when militancy was at its peak and infiltration at its highest level.
The India-Pakistan borders were also tense then because of regular exchange of fire between Indian and Pakistani armies. He has also commanded the Delta Force, a counter insurgency force in Doda.
An alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Indian Military Academy and Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, Bhardwaj was commissioned into the first battalion of the Parachute Regiment in June 1970.
Bhardwaj has also received training at Special Forces School, Fort Bragg.
A recipient of Vir Chakra in the 1971 India-Pakistan war, Bhardwaj has commanded the elite Parachute Brigade and was the defence attach
- Lt Gen P.C. Bhardwaj takes over as army vice chief - Oct 01, 2009
- Bhardwaj takes over as Indian Army vice chief Thursday - Sep 30, 2009
- Indian Army vice chief appointment may spark succession row - Sep 01, 2009
- Lt. Gen. Bhardwaj to take over as next Army vice chief in October - Sep 01, 2009
- Lt Gen Bhardwaj takes over as Northern Army Command chief - Mar 01, 2008
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- Last veteran of 1971 war Gen. Ghosh retires - May 31, 2012
- Lt. Gen. S.K Singh to be next army vice chief - Oct 10, 2011
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Army chief witnesses exercise in Ladakh - Apr 20, 2011
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Key Indian Army, IAF commanders meet; talk synergy - Jul 16, 2012
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Letter on army chief my personal opinion: Amarinder - Jan 03, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: alumnus, bhardwaj, brigadier, central command, chakra, counter insurgency, defence services, delta force, first battalion, general staff, india pakistan war, indian army, indian military academy, national defence academy, pakistan borders, parachute brigade, parachute regiment, services staff, siachen glacier, staff college