Indian army doctor wins medals at the World Medical and Health GamesJuly 22nd, 2010 - 7:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 22 (ANI): Indian army’s Major Surendra Poonia, a medical officer in the President’s Body Guards, became the first Indian to participate and win three medals at the 31st World Medical and Health Games held in Porec, Croatia.
Poonia has been an athlete since his college days and graduated from the Armed Forces Medical College in Pune before joining the elite Special Force- the paratroopers in the Indian army, with whom he has served in Kashmir. He was also a member of United Nations peacekeeping force in Congo.
“Even in collage I used to practice every day after my classes. I won medals in 10,000 meters, 5000 meters and cross-country at the university. I was a member of the Pune university team. I broke almost all running records set about 37 year ago in my collage,” said Poonia.
Major Poonia also won silver in the discus throw and a bronze in the javelin competition, besides a gold in the power-lifting event.
Being the lone Indian representative at an international event, Poonia could not escape the pre-competition jitters, but an army man to the core he said he overcame his nervousness due to his Army training that teaches soldiers to overcome any difficulty.
“When I was standing alone at the opening ceremony I was amazed as I thought I came to such a big event alone, all by myself. But then, I am military person and I knew I can do it,” said Poonia. (ANI)
- Krishna Poonia wins silver in US meet - May 05, 2012
- 10 Indians for Paralympic Games - Aug 28, 2012
- Striving hard for a podium finish in London: Discus thrower Krishna Poonia (Interview) - May 13, 2012
- Olympics athletics: India's Krishna Poonia finishes seventh - Aug 05, 2012
- Discus Thrower Krishna Poonia wins Gold for India at Commonwealth Games - Oct 11, 2010
- Olympics: Vijay shoots silver as boxer Vikas exits (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Krishna Poonia bags silver in Portland meet - Jun 05, 2012
- Poonia accepts Samuels' challenge, asks her to compete in India (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: Krishna wins women's discuss throw bronze - Nov 23, 2010
- Discus results will inspire us to perform better at Guangzhou: Harwant - Oct 12, 2010
- Poonia-Dani discus duel 'could be like boxing bout' - Oct 19, 2010
- Krishna Poonia now aims for Olympics gold - Oct 12, 2010
- World Cup archery: Indian men settle for silver - May 08, 2011
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: armed forces medical college, army doctor, army man, army training, college days, discus throw, games new, indian army, indian representative, jitters, medical officer, military person, opening ceremony, paratroopers, pune university, running records, surendra, united nations peacekeeping, united nations peacekeeping force, world medical