Indian army chief visits J&K;June 15th, 2012 - 2:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 15 (IANS) Indian Army chief Gen. Bikram Singh Friday visited the headquarters of the Northern Command at Udhampur, an official said.
This is Gen. Singh’s first visit to Jammu and Kashmir after assuming the charge May 31.
Gen. Singh had a detailed discussion on the security situation in Jammu and Kashmir with the senior army commanders, particularly relating to the efforts aimed at checking the infiltration from across the border.
He was given a detailed briefing by Northern Command chief of the Indian Army, Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik, about the situation prevailing on the borders, and the concentration of militants at the launching pads across the Line of Control (LoC).
Gen. Parnaik briefed Gen. Singh about the efforts undertaken by the Indian army to curb infiltration by combination of high technology, sensors and night vision devices, and the human resources by effective deployment of the troops to check the intrusions.
It was also revealed how Pakistan provided “cover fire” to infiltrators at the Indian posts in Poonch district.
Sources said that the army chief was also keen to know about the presence of the militants in the hinterland and the steps being taken to neutralize them.
The issue of revoking the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) was also discussed.
- Army chief visits Northern Command - May 23, 2012
- Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security - May 11, 2011
- Army chief reviews Kashmir border security - Feb 09, 2012
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh border - Oct 03, 2011
- Gen Bikram Singh assumes command of Indian Army (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Army chief on first visit to Ladakh - Aug 17, 2012
- Can't rule out more border tunnels: Home secretary - Aug 24, 2012
- Bikram Singh will be next Indian Army chief (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Antony visits forward posts in Kashmir - Jul 30, 2012
- Indian Army vice chief reviews operational preparedness on borders - Oct 19, 2011
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- Antony calls for better synergy among security forces in Kashmir - Jul 28, 2012
- Army chief calls on Omar Abdullah in Srinagar - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: afspa, army commanders, army lt, bikram singh, borders, command chief, deployment, district sources, high technology, hinterland, indian army, infiltration, intrusions, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, launching pads, militants, night vision devices, security situation, technology sensors