Indian Army chief meets Omar Adbullah on AFSPANovember 15th, 2011 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 15 (IANS) Amidst a raging debate over demands for withdrawing the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from parts of Jammu and Kashmir, Indian Army chief General Vijay Kumar Singh Tuesday met state Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Tuesday to discuss the issue.
The Indian Army headquarters described the meeting, the first in the three days Abdullah has been in New Delhi, as “a courtesy call” by the army chief on the Jammu and Kashmir chief minister.
Sources, however, said the two discussed the Jammu and Kashmir government’s demand for withdrawal from parts of the border state of the special law that protects armed forces personnel from legal tangles arising out of their actions during counter-insurgency operations.
Abdullah has over the last three days met the country’s top government leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Home Minister P. Chidambaram pressing for the demand.
The central leaders have asked the chief minister to be patient till the consultation processes between the home ministry and the defence ministry, including the army, was completed.
Abdullah, who had till recently, said that he would not accept “no” as an answer to his demand, Monday agreed to further consultations and talks on the AFSPA withdrawal.
Antony, though, asked for a “mature and cool” handling of the “sensitive” issue and also pointed out that the talks with Abdullah was “inconclusive.”
- AFSPA: Omar meets PM, Chidambaram; no time limit, says Antony - Nov 15, 2011
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- Antony reviews security situation - Nov 15, 2011
- AFSPA will be revoked one day: Farooq - Nov 25, 2011
- Antony refuses to set deadline for war memorial - Jul 26, 2012
- Chidambaram, Antony need to concur on AFSPA: Khurshid - Oct 25, 2011
- Omar briefs cabinet on Delhi talks on AFSPA - Nov 24, 2011
- Cabinet discusses AFSPA, reviews situation in Kashmir - Oct 27, 2011
- Omar disagrees with army chief on special powers act - Jan 02, 2012
- Kashmir's Unified Command can decide on AFSPA: Antony - Nov 11, 2011
- Antony in Jammu and Kashmir to review security - Jul 28, 2012
- Revoking AFSPA will aid Kashmir terror groups: Army chief - Jan 01, 2012
- Kashmir cabinet meet on AFSPA postponed? - Nov 16, 2011
- Omar speaks to Chidambaram about AFSPA removal - Nov 09, 2011
- Congress Core Group meets to discuss Kashmir crisis - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: afspa, army chief, army headquarters, border state, central leaders, chief general, consultation processes, counter insurgency, defence ministry, home minister, home ministry, indian army, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, legal tangles, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, state chief, vijay kumar