Indian and Royal Navy to participate in ‘Exercise Konkan 2009′ in UK watersJune 12th, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 12 (ANI): An Indian Navy Task Group led by the destroyer-INS Delhi, along with frigates INS Beas and INS Brahmaputra, and the tanker INS Aditya will reach Portsmouth on June 17, for ‘Exercise Konkan’ with the Royal Navy.
The task group will be under the command of Rear Admiral Surinder Pal Singh Cheema, Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet.
‘Exercise Konkan’ is an annual exercise between Indian Navy and the Royal Navy, conducted with the aim of building maritime inter-operability and mutual understanding. So far, four such exercises have been conducted since 2004. Konkan 2009 is the first to be conducted in UK waters.
UK participants, commanded by Commodore Simon Ancona, include the frigates HMS Westminster and HMS Lancaster, the nuclear powered submarine HMS Trafalgar, the auxiliaries RFA Mounts Bay and RFA Fort Rosalie and an RAF Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft.
A team of Indian Navy divers will also be conducting Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) training with the Plymouth-based Southern Diving Group.
After the harbour phase, the combined Task Group will sail on July 20, and exercise together for six days.
The focus will be on anti-submarine warfare, but there will be opportunities to practice anti-air and anti-surface skills, including specialist-boarding operations. (ANI)
- India-Britain naval exercises to tackle piracy - Jun 16, 2009
- British n-sub in India for naval war game - Oct 07, 2011
- Indian warships on goodwill visit to Africa - Aug 20, 2010
- India, Britain begin submarine naval exercise Wednesday - Jul 27, 2010
- Indo-French naval exercise to help anti-piracy operations - Jan 08, 2011
- Singapore, Indian Navies conduct naval exercise - Mar 24, 2011
- Indian Navy deploys western fleet ships on a goodwill visit - Aug 20, 2010
- French carrier in India for joint naval drill - Jan 06, 2011
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- Indo-French naval wargames to begin in Arabian Sea - Jan 06, 2011
- China, Russia hold joint naval exercise - Apr 22, 2012
- British woman becomes first warship commander - May 22, 2012
- Terrorism, piracy top agenda of British navy chief's visit - Jan 29, 2011
- Russian warships in China for joint exercise - Apr 21, 2012
- UK security could be compromised if RAF's Nimrod fleet is scrapped - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: auxiliaries, brahmaputra, cheema, explosive ordinance disposal, flag officer, fort rosalie, frigates, indian navy, ins beas, maritime patrol aircraft, navy divers, operability, raf nimrod, rear admiral, rfa, royal navy, submarine warfare, task group, uk participants, uk waters