Indian Airborne Early Warning and Control System to be integrated into Brazilian EMB-145 aircraftJuly 4th, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 4 (ANI): The Centre for Air-Borne Systems (CABS), DRDO, Bangalore, is developing an Air-borne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) system for the Indian Air Force (IAF), which will also be integrated into the Brazilian-manufactured Embraer-145 aircraft by 2012.
The system comprises many sub-systems like radar and communication links, that are being designed and developed by DRDO. This is a multi-laboratory programme of DRDO coordinated by CABS, Bangalore.
The integration of the system will be as per Indian Air Force requirements. A few EMB-145 based AEW&C/AWACS versions are already in operation with the Air Forces of Brazil, Mexico and Greece.
The EMB-145 aircraft will be modified to carry DRDOs Active Array Antenna Unit (AAAU), mounted on top of the aircrafts fuselage. The aircraft structure will be modified to carry other antennas and subsystems. The rest of the sub-systems including the Operator Work Stations will be distributed in a customized layout in the aircraft cabin.
The EMB-145 basic aircraft will be modified at the works of M/s Embraer, Brazil, to incorporate the necessary structural modifications to receive the Indian AAAU as well as other mission systems. Flight-testing of the modified EMB-145 with replicated dummy AAAU to simulate the actual aerodynamics and simulated loading of the cabin will be carried out by M/s Embraer to ensure airworthiness of the air vehicle.
The various sub-systems of the AEW&C Mission system will be integrated into the modified green aircraft by DRDO and the full fledged EMB-145 based AEW&C will be flight tested for Mission system in India by DRDO along with IAF from 2012.
Three modified EMB-145 aircraft will be developed under this agreement, of which first one is expected to reach India in July 2011. The contract was jointly signed by Dr S Christopher, Director, CABS from DRDO side and Mr Luis Carlos Aguiar, Executive Vice President (Defence and Govt. Market) from M/s Embraer side in the presence of H.E. Marco Brandao, Ambassdor of Brazil to India and M Natarajan, Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister.
Senior DRDO,IAF and MEA officials were also present during the ceremony. (ANI)
- India successfully tests second indigenous airborne radar flight (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Embraer rolls out plane for India's airborne radar - Feb 22, 2011
- Second indigenous airborne radar flight tested - Apr 05, 2012
- India to integrate indigenous airborne radar in July - Apr 16, 2011
- Embraer-based airborne warning system reaches India - Aug 23, 2012
- Indigenous airborne radar for IAF trials soon - Sep 20, 2012
- Indian air chief in Brazil to deepen defence ties - Aug 21, 2012
- India to soon fly home-grown surveillance radar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Embraer aircraft with Indian warning system to fly by 2011 - Sep 12, 2010
- Embraer jet for Indian airborne radar flight tested - Dec 07, 2011
- India's first advanced radar system to roll out end-2011 - Nov 09, 2010
- IAF to finalise Rafale fighter deal this fiscal - Sep 20, 2012
- IAF to open bids for heavy choppers, tankers (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Creation of armed forces space cell significant: Report - Mar 30, 2010
- India to use Embraer platform for airborne early warning system - Jul 03, 2008