Indian Air Force plane missing, presumed crashed in ArunachalJune 10th, 2009 - 12:24 am ICT by John Le Fevre
The Indian Air Force is conducting an aerial search for an Antonov AN-32 military transport plane with at least 14 people on board which went missing on a flight from Mechuka to Jorhat.
According to reports, the AN-32 aircraft with eight Indian Air Force personnel and six civilians on board departed Mechuka in Arunachal Pradesh at around 2pm and went missing shortly after.
Indian Air Force Wing Commander P Sahu said the plane had flown from Dibrugarh in Assam to Mechuka on a regular flight and then went missing shortly after departure.
Wing Commander Sahu said a search was being conducted over the dense forests and mountains of Arunachal Pradesh bordering Bhutan where the plane might have crashed, but no sign of the aircraft has been detected so far.
He said the search will resume on Wednesday morning and army and paramilitary personnel in the area have been put on alert.
The An-32 is a twin-engine turboprop military transport aircraft that first flew in 1976. There are more than 240 AN-32s in military service around the world – the majority in India. In 200 the cost of a new AN-32 was between $US6 to $US9 million.
- Search for missing IAF plane intensifies - Jun 10, 2009
- Air Force plane crashes in Arunachal Pradesh - Jun 09, 2009
- IAF transport plane feared to have crashed (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2009
- IAF transport plane missing, crash feared (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 10, 2009
- 13 bodies, IAF aircraft's wreakage located (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2009
- Search on to locate missing IAF transport plane - Jun 10, 2009
- Search on for missing IAF cargo plane (Lead) - Jun 10, 2009
- India re-activating air strip in Arunachal - Nov 17, 2011
- Wreckage of missing IAF aircraft found in Arunachal Pradesh - Jun 10, 2009
- IAF AN-32 wreckage found in a village - Jun 10, 2009
- 10 die in Russian plane crash - Sep 12, 2012
- IAF aircraft's wreckage with 13 bodies located (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2009
- Reactivated airfield in Arunachal strategic: IAF chief - Nov 18, 2011
- Wing commander from Chadigarh among IAF plane crash victims - Jun 11, 2009
- IAF aircraft with 12 on board missing in Arunachal Pradesh - Jun 09, 2009
Tags: 2pm, 32s, aerial search, air force plane, antonov, army, assam, civilians, dense forests, dibrugarh, India, indian air force, military service, military transport aircraft, military transport plane, mountains, sahu, turboprop, wednesday morning, wing commander