Indian Air Force gears up to celebrate its 78th anniversaryOctober 6th, 2010 - 11:33 pm ICT by ANI
Hindon (Uttar Pradesh), Oct.6 (ANI): Ahead of the 78th Air Force Day, to be celebrated on Friday, the officers and airmen of the Indian Air Force (IAF) presented an impressive dress rehearsal at the Hindon airbase near Ghaziabad.
A thrilling air show by combat and transport aircraft as well as helicopters from the Sarang team thrilled the audience on Tuesday.
Among the aircraft, which took part in the spectacular air show, were MIG-21s, MIG-29s, Jaguars, Mirage 2000s, and Sukhoi-30 MkIs with the pilots displaying their unique skills in mid air.
The Surya Kiran Aerobatic Team treated the audience with breathtaking formation flights.
The entire air show was coordinated with precision from five different bases such as Ambala, Halwara and Adampur of the New Delhi-based Western Air Command.
The IAF was founded on October 8, 1932 as an auxiliary Air Force of the British Indian Empire and the prefix Royal was added in 1945 in recognition of its services during the World War II.
Since independence, the IAF has participated in four wars with neighbouring Pakistan and one with China.
Other major operations undertaken by the IAF include Operation Vijay - the invasion of Goa, Operation Meghdoot and Operation Cactus. Apart from conflicts, the IAF has been an active participant in United Nations peacekeeping missions. (ANI)
- IAF celebrates Air Force day in style - Oct 08, 2010
- IAF gears up for 77th Air Force Day with successful dress rehearsal - Oct 06, 2009
- Air power display dominates IAF's 77th anniversary - Oct 08, 2009
- IAF chief describes security situation in India's neighbourhood volcanic - Oct 08, 2010
- IAF conducts dress rehearsal ahead of 'Vayu Shakti-2010' - Feb 25, 2010
- Up above the world so high, IAF in the sky (Oct 8 is the IAF's 78th anniversary) - Oct 07, 2010
- AeroIndia show to be the largest ever - Feb 01, 2011
- Indian Air Force holds war games in northeast - Mar 01, 2012
- IAF eyes to meet fighter plane deficit by 2022 (Lead) - Oct 08, 2009
- Regional security extremely fragile, says IAF chief - Oct 08, 2011
- Indian Air Force turns 77 - Oct 08, 2009
- New planes' induction will reduce air crashes: Antony - Feb 05, 2011
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- South Asia's largest aero show takes off Wednesday - Feb 08, 2011
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: 2000s, airbase, auxiliary air force, dress rehearsal, indian air force, indian empire, jaguars, meghdoot, mid air, mkis, neighbouring, october 8, operation vijay, sukhoi 30, surya kiran, transport aircraft, united nations peacekeeping, united nations peacekeeping missions, uttar pradesh, world war ii