Indian Air Force airlifts relief supplies in KashmirFebruary 13th, 2009 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
Udhampur/Jammu, Feb 13 (ANI): The Indian Air Force (IAF) dropped food articles in Kashmir’’s Doda and Kishtwar districts where road connectivity has snapped after heavy rain washed off parts of a crucial highway last week.
“They are facing shortage of essential commodities. What the State Government is supplying, we will take there safely. And whatever the commodities they need, we will try to get it for them,” said Wing Commander Pawan Sharma, an IAF officer at the Udhampur Air Force Base.
Half-a-kilometer stretch of the road between Batote-Kishtwar NationalHighway-1B collapsed as water from Chenab river submerged it.
Officials said the critically ill patients were being airlifted on a priority basis.
“We have been airlifting patients almost daily. As far as patients are concerned, the critically patients who cannot be given treatment there, is concerned,” said Pawan Kotwal, divisional commissioner of Jammu.
The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has begun work on opening an alternative route on Bani-Bhaderwah road to connect the two districts. Usually the road remains closed during winter. (ANI)
- Landslides block Batote-Kishtwar Highway - May 21, 2010
- Three dead, dozens feared missing in Kashmir cloudburst - Jun 09, 2011
- Kashmir's historic town soon to be history! - Jul 10, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to kick-off work on new Kashmir bridge Monday - May 22, 2011
- Omar visits snow-hit Jammu region - Jan 09, 2012
- IAF airlifts 313 stranded passengers between Leh and Srinagar - Feb 07, 2012
- Highway sinks in Doda, rescue work underway - Feb 08, 2009
- IAF sorties between Srinagar and Jammu begin (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- 'Hydel agreements in Kashmir need renegotiation' - May 23, 2012
- Special IAF flights for people stranded in Kargil - Feb 06, 2012
- Over 1,200 stranded passengers ferried by IAF (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Damaged Jammu and Kashmir road repaired - Feb 24, 2009
- Doda, Kishtwar districts cut off, one feared killed - Feb 07, 2009
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- IAF rescues marooned civilians in Jammu - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: bani, bhaderwah, border roads, bro, chenab river, commodities, divisional commissioner, doda, food articles, heavy rain, ill patients, indian air force, kashmir, kilometer stretch, kishtwar, pawan sharma, priority basis, state government, udhampur, wing commander