India willing to review 1950 treatyApril 30th, 2008 - 10:30 pm ICT by admin
Kathmandu, Apr 30 (ANI): Foreign Affairs Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon on Wednesday said that India was willing to review the 1950 Indo-Nepal peace and friendship treaty under the present circumstances.
According to Kantipur, Menon said that the Indian government was ready to amend the 1950 treaty as per the present context so as to develop a new and high-level relationship between the two countries.
The issue of the 1950 treaty gained publicity after Maoist Chairman Prachanda stressed on the need to review the treaty in accordance to the present context in the aftermath of the Constituent Assembly polls results that established the Maoists as the largest party.
Senior Nepali dignitaries have time and again questioned some of the points of the treaty including the need to inform India on the import of arms and ammunition by the Nepal government and the need to prioritise the Indian investment in the same level with Nepali investment.
The 1950 treaty was signed by the-then Nepali Prime Minister Mohan Shumsher and the-then Indian Ambassador for Nepal Chadreshwar Narayan Singh 58 years ago.
The Nepali side has deemed clauses 5, 6 and 7 of the 10 clause 1950 treaty as unfair. (ANI)
- Kolkata to Kathmandu: Nepal's long march to democracy - Sep 18, 2010
- Maoists keen to improve ties with India, Prachanda tells Krishna - Apr 22, 2011
- Nepal Maoists condemn Indian operation against rebels - Nov 28, 2010
- Nepal Maoists begin anti-India campaign - Jan 11, 2010
- India's border war with Nepal to hit silver screen (Lead) - Jan 04, 2010
- Nepal Maoists favour regulated border, visa for Indians - Jan 13, 2011
- India's border conflict with Nepal now on silver screen - Jan 04, 2010
- Nepal Maoists torch copies of 'unequal treaties' with India - Jan 15, 2010
- Krishna holds bilateral talks, sets stage for Nepal PM's visit - Apr 20, 2011
- A new chapter opened in Indo-Nepal relations: Bhattarai - Oct 22, 2011
- Security remains India's prime concern in Nepal - Apr 21, 2011
- Nepal CA member says S. M. Krishna visit of great value - Jan 14, 2010
- Maoists deny anti-India activities, raise counter-charges (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- India, Nepal discuss extradition treaty, peace process - Aug 11, 2009
- Ahead of Krishna's visit, Maoists to begin anti-India protests - Jan 05, 2010
Tags: aftermath, ammunition, assembly polls, clauses, constituent assembly, dignitaries, foreign affairs, friendship treaty, indian ambassador, indian government, indian investment, indo nepal, maoist, maoists, mohan, narayan, nepal government, polls results, publicity, shiv shankar menon