India-US Strategic Dialogue postponed due to assembly polls, WANA situationMarch 11th, 2011 - 3:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 11 (ANI): The second India-US Strategic Dialogue, co-chaired by External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, has been postponed in view of the Assembly elections in India and the ongoing developments in West Asia and North Africa.
“India and the United States were planning to hold the second India-US Strategic Dialogue, co-chaired by External Affairs Minister and the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, in New Delhi in early part of April 2011, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) release said.
“In view of the State elections in India and ongoing developments in West Asia and North Africa, the two sides have decided to reschedule the Strategic Dialogue and will hold it at the earliest available opportunity,” the release adds.
The two sides will now decide the date for the strategic dialogue through mutual consultation.
India-US Strategic Dialogue is a principal mechanism for advancing bilateral cooperation across the full spectrum of the relationship and exchanging views on global and regional issues of mutual interest.
The MEA release further said: “India and the United States will have a number of important bilateral events over the next few weeks, including the visit of Commerce Secretary to Washington DC in March 2011; the meeting of the India-US Joint Working Group in Counter Terrorism on March 25, 2011 in New Delhi; the meeting of the High Technology Cooperation Group in India in May 2011; and, the India-US Higher Education Summit in June 2011 in Washington DC.”
“The first Homeland Security Dialogue and the meeting of the Joint Working Group on Space Cooperation will also be scheduled in the coming weeks,” the release adds. (ANI)
- India puts off US strategic dialogue due to state polls - Mar 11, 2011
- India, US hold higher education dialogue - Jun 12, 2012
- Shared values converging India-US interests: Clinton (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- India-US anti-terror ties have deepened: Krishna - Jul 19, 2011
- India-US talks open with call to harness full potential of ties - Jun 13, 2012
- Clinton in Beijing for strategic, economic dialogue - May 02, 2012
- India-U.S. Strategic Dialogue to focus on bilateral, regional, global issues - May 30, 2010
- Hillary Clinton to visit India, China, Bangladesh - Apr 27, 2012
- India, US to hold trilateral dialogue with Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2012
- India backs trilateral dialogue with US, China - Feb 07, 2012
- New Delhi to host US-India dialogue on East Asian affairs - Apr 02, 2011
- Menon meets Clinton to prepare for strategic dialogue - Jan 28, 2011
- Terrorism to figure in India-US talks: Krishna - Jul 09, 2011
- India, US resolve to harness full potential of ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- India, US to hold strategic dialogue, Iran high on agenda - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, assembly polls, bilateral cooperation, commerce secretary, counter terrorism, education summit, elections in india, external affairs minister, full spectrum, hillary clinton, joint working group, ministry of external affairs, mutual consultation, principal mechanism, regional issues, security dialogue, space cooperation, state elections, technology cooperation, west asia