India to share its federalism experience at 4th International Conference in DelhiNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
This conference is being organized in partnership between the Government of India and the Forum of Federations, a Canada-based international forum of federal countries. The earlier conferences were held in Canada 1999, Switzerland 2002 and Belgium 2005.
Pandey said that the Conference would be unique in several respects. The principal actors will be practitioners of federal democracy at all levels, including those heading Federal Governments to those heading constituent units and also those representing federal practice at the grassroots. There will also be scholars, experts, administrators and social activists dedicated to federalism.
All participants will collectively engage in the process of sharing ideas, experiences and drawing inspiration from one another. They will all be treated equal and provided an environment conducive to a free and frank dialogue, he said.
There will be no occasions for ‘official’ statements of government positions. The conference will be practice-oriented. It will provide a forum for the sharing of federalism best practices that ultimately contribute to better governance.
About 1000 delegates are likely to attend the conference, including President of Comoros, Prime Minister of Ethiopia and President of Switzerland.
The title of the Conference is Unity in Diversity - learning from each other.
The conference is based on four broad themes and twelve sub-themes. The topics for Theme Sessions include Building on and Accommodating Diversities, Emerging Issues in Fiscal Federalism, Interaction in a Federal system and Local Government and Federal Systems. For the first time, local government will be the topic of a theme session.
An Outreach Event will also be held alongside the conference from November 4 to 8 in conjunction with the Conference to showcase grassroots federalism at work in India and a showcase the country’s plurality and diversity to the common man.
The Event will highlight that federalism for India is a phenomenon that touches all aspects of lives, showcasing its impact on people, economics and livelihoods, through dialogues, workshops, art exhibitions, live performance, cuisines and merchandise.
It will be held in partnership with the Ministries of Rural Development, Panchayati Raj, Tribal Affairs and North-Eastern Region. (ANI)
- PM to open 4th International Conference on Federalism - Nov 14, 2007
- PM to inaugurate 4th International Conference on Federalism tomorrow in Delhi - Nov 14, 2007
- Indian American spreads sacred music's peace message (With Images) - Jun 05, 2011
- Spices for Indian kitchens from distant Comoros - Feb 23, 2011
- Delhi to host 4th International Conference on Federalism on Nov 5-7 - Nov 14, 2007
- Variety can add to strength of federal structure: Shivraj Patil - Nov 14, 2007
- India for fast-tracking ASEAN highway links - Sep 04, 2012
- BRICS to explore setting up development bank - Mar 07, 2012
- Canada's competitiveness drops in global ranking - Sep 06, 2012
- Krishna heads to Cambodia for three regional meets - Jul 08, 2012
- India-Africa symposium emphasises media partnership - May 21, 2011
- Canadians take part in Pravasi Bharatiya Divas - Jan 17, 2011
- Year of India in Canada begins - Mar 05, 2011
- NID wins global sustainable auto-design contest - Oct 05, 2011
- Four day conference on efficient cities and transportation - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: canada, conducive, constituent units, federal countries, federal democracy, fiscal federalism, frank dialogue, good governance, government of india, government positions, heading, inter state, learning from each other, pandey, practitioners, president, principal actors, social activists, switzerland, unity in diversity