India to provide relief to those affected in Sri Lankan conflictMay 18th, 2009 - 7:56 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 18 (ANI): External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Monday called up Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, and assured him of providing relief to those affected by the tragic conflict between the Lankan Army and the Tamil Tigers.
“In a telephone conversation with External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee earlier today, the President of Sri Lanka confirmed that armed resistance by the LTTE has come to an end and that LTTE leader Velupillai Prabhakaran is dead,” MEA official spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said in a statement.
The statement came after the Sri Lankan Army declared that armed resistance by the LTTE has come to an end and its leader Velupillai Prabhakaran is dead.
The statement further said that all communities in Sri Lanka, including the Tamils, could now feel at home and lead lives of dignity of their own free will.
“It is our view that as the conventional conflict in Sri Lanka comes to an end, this is the moment when the root causes of conflict in Sri Lanka can be addressed. This would include political steps towards the effective devolution of power within the Sri Lankan Constitution so that Sri Lankans of all communities, including the Tamils, can feel at home and lead lives of dignity of their own free will,” the statement said. (ANI)
- Time to address root causes of Sri Lankan conflict: India - May 18, 2009
- NSA, Menon to meet Rajapaksa, press for political solution (Lead) - May 20, 2009
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- India non-committal on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Probe rights abuses, CPI-M tells Colombo - Aug 07, 2011
- Probe Sri Lanka killings, CPI-M says - Mar 13, 2012
- India to send special envoys to Sri Lanka: Mukherjee - May 19, 2009
- Amid pressure, PM says India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka: PM (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Colombo mulling power sharing with Tamils: Peiris - May 17, 2011
- Krishna goes to Sri Lanka minus the war's shadow - Nov 21, 2010
- India non-committal on 'war crimes', studying 'sentiments'(Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- India awaits formal confirmation of Prabhakaran's death - Jul 08, 2009
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: conflict in sri lanka, conventional conflict, devolution of power, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, political steps, prabhakaran, pranab mukherjee, president mahinda rajapaksa, president of sri lanka, sri lankan army, sri lankan conflict, sri lankan constitution, sri lankan president, sri lankans, tamil tigers, tamils, tragic conflict