India to evacuate its citizens, condemns use of force in LibyaFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 11:21 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 23 (ANI): To ensure the safety and welfare of its nationals, the Government of India is planning to evacuate its citizens from Libya and has also deplored the use of force in strife-torn Libya.
The situation in Libya worsened after a defiant Muammar Gaddafi late on Tuesday vowed to stay on as the country’s leader, raising fears of more bloodshed.
India has decided to evacuate its citizens from the African country after External Affairs Minister SM Krishna spoke to India’s envoy in Tripoli, Mani Meklai. India is finalizing plans to evacuate all 18,000 Indians via air and sea from Libya.
“The Government of India has been following, with serious concern, the developments in Libya, leading to loss of numerous lives and injuries to many more,” Ministry of External Affairs said in its statement on Wednesday.
“The Government deplores the use of force which is totally unacceptable and must not be resorted to. It is earnestly hoped that calm is restored at the earliest without any further violence,” it said.
“The Ministry and the Embassy of India in Tripoli are closely monitoring the
- Evacuation of Indians from Libya to be over today - Mar 10, 2011
- IAF to fly Indians out of Libya - Mar 02, 2011
- All Indians to be evacuated from Libya by March 10 - Mar 04, 2011
- India to wrap up safe evacuation operation in Libya - Mar 09, 2011
- US envoy lauds Indian Govt.'s efforts over evacuation from Libya - Mar 09, 2011
- First batch of evacuees from Libya reaching Delhi midnight (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- 67 more Indians return from Libya - Feb 28, 2011
- All Indians to be evacuated from Libya by March 10 (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Two more flights bring back 600 Indians from Libya - Mar 01, 2011
- Another batch of Indians arrive from Libya - Mar 02, 2011
- Libya unrest: 68 Indians land in Mumbai, 3,000 more on the way - Feb 28, 2011
- Libya unrest: 68 Indians land in Mumbai, 3,000 more on the way (Intro Night Lead) - Mar 01, 2011
- Libya unrest: Two Air India flights leave to evacuate Indians - Feb 26, 2011
- Over 7,000 Indians to be back from Libya by Thursday (Roundup) - Mar 03, 2011
- India sends ship to Libya to evacuate 1,200 Indians - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: bloodshed, calm, citizens, embassy of india, external affairs minister, fears, government of india, indians, krishna, libya, ministry of external affairs, muammar gaddafi, nationals, New Delhi, sm, strife, tripoli, use of force, violence, welfare