India to become power surplus nation: ShindeJanuary 3rd, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Agartala, Jan 3 (ANI): Union Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde has said that India would be a power surplus nation with the addition of 45,000 MW of power during the 12th Five Year Plan period.
“We have added about 44000MW of capacity during the last four-and-a-half years. Last year capacity addition was 9,585MW, which is the highest in a year. We have a target of generating 15000MW this year,” Shinde told a seminar here on Sunday.
“With the completion of various power project within the 12th plan we would be able to add 45000 MW” he said, adding that after the independence India used to generate 1400 MW and now the country generates 1,67,000MW.
“The power sector in the country has immense potential. I hope that private sector would use the same in the coming days,” he said.
Regarding Tripura’s commercial supply of power to Bangladesh, Shinde said that since Tripura is a small state and it would also soon become a power surplus state in coming days, as it can sell its power resources to other countries.
“Yes, Tripura needs very little power and see at the moment there is some shortage but soon Tripura will become a surplus (power) state and they can sell their power. Even today, while I did review, even today they sell power to other countries,” he added. (ANI)
- India plans power lines via Bangladesh - Jan 02, 2011
- 'One-third power capacity addition by private sector' - Aug 25, 2011
- India seeks US investment in power sector - Sep 20, 2011
- Tripura to provide electricity in all hamlets by 2013 - Jan 23, 2012
- Northeast to generate 5,000 MW more in next few years - Jul 07, 2011
- Centre, States must work together for providing affordable and quality power: Shinde - Apr 28, 2010
- 260 percent power capacity added between 10th and 11th Plans - Aug 17, 2012
- Coal shortage could hit hard power projects - Oct 09, 2011
- India poised for record capacity addition of 15000 MW in 2011: Shinde - Feb 13, 2011
- Three hydel power plants to come up in Mizoram - Jul 18, 2011
- Myntdu Leskha hydel project commissioned - Feb 29, 2012
- Northeastern India's largest power project to ease electricity woes - Nov 21, 2011
- Shinde calls for investment, technological cooperation from Canada in power sector - Sep 17, 2010
- India to add 65,000 MW power in 12th plan - Jan 02, 2011
- India sets quarterly targets for infrastructure growth - May 17, 2010