India take 3-0 lead against England in ODI seriesNovember 20th, 2008 - 7:15 pm ICT by ANI
Kanpur, Nov.20 (ANI): India made heavy work of an under-par England total in the first evenly-contested match between the two sides at Kanpur’’s Green Park Stadium on Thursday during the third one-day international.
But the hosts edged ahead thanks to a superior run rate under the Duckworth-Lewis method when bad light curtailed their chase after 40 overs.
India were asked to chase a victory target of 241 runs, and ended up scoring 198/5 in 40 overs when play was called off due to bad light. According to the D/L method, India needed to be 183/5 after 40 overs.
The Indians were served well by openers Gautam Gambhir and Virender Sehwag, who came up with an opening partnership of 31 runs. Gambhir was dismissed for 14 by England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff. Soon after, Uttar Pradesh batsman Suresh Raina edged a Stuart Broad delivery onto his stumps with his individual score at one.
Flintoff snared Sehwag, but not before he had top scored with 68 with eight hits to the fence and a towering six. Those runs came off just 76 balls and it was his 31st half-century in one-day internationals.
Mumbai’’s Rohit Sharma scored 28 with three hits to the fence before he was caught behind. Yuvraj Singh, who was England’’s nemesis in the previous two one-day internationals, scored a brisk 38 before he was snared by Flintoff, the latter getting his thrid wicket of the match.
Yuvraj mistimed a pull shot to deep square leg for Broad to take the catch and end his 52-run partnership with his captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
Yuvraj hit 2 fours and a six in his 31-ball knock.
Dhoni (29) and Yusuf Pathan (12) remained unbeaten and kept India in the hunt for a third consecutive victory till the end. (ANI)
- Second Test: Bell leads England's charge (Lunch report) - Jul 31, 2011
- Kohli ton helps India beat New Zealand by 40 wickets - Nov 28, 2010
- India Vs Australia: Tendulkar falls after scoring record 18,000 runs in ODIs - Mar 24, 2011
- I am going through the best phase of my career: Yuvraj (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- India-Sri Lanka tie their ODI tri-series encounter (Roundup) - Feb 14, 2012
- Dhoni criticizes batsmen's shot selection - Feb 12, 2012
- Beating the four-time World Champions is special: Yuvraj - Mar 25, 2011
- India cruise to a five-wicket win over Netherlands (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Gambhir, Dhoni take India closer to World Cup crown - Apr 02, 2011
- Dhoni wins World Cup but India loses No 1 Test status (2011 in Retrospect - Cricket) - Dec 21, 2011
- Knight Riders beat Daredevils, qualify for main IPL final(lead) - May 23, 2012
- World Cup: India-England match ends in a dramatic tie (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Indian top order fires against Australia - Oct 28, 2009
- Tendulkar's 47th ODI century takes India to 338 (Lead) - Feb 27, 2011
- England clinch ODI series against India as well (Lead) - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: consecutive victory, dhoni, duckworth lewis method, fence, gambhir, green park, kanpur, mumbai, nemesis, odi series, raina, rohit sharma, rounder, s green, square leg, stumps, target, virender sehwag, wicket, yuvraj singh