India successfully test-fires interceptor missile in OrissaJuly 26th, 2010 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Balasore (Orissa), July 26 (ANI): India on Monday successfully test-fired a ballistic missile interceptor from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) on Wheeler Island off the Orissa’s coast.
The target missile, a modified indigenously built “Prithvi”, was first lifted off from a mobile launcher from the ITR’s launch complex-3 at Chandipur-on-sea.
Minutes later, the interceptor missile getting signals from the hostile missile immediately reacted and swept in to action from the Wheeler’s Island.
The seven-metre long ‘AAD’ (advance air defence) interceptor is a single stage solid rocket propelled guided missile equipped with an inertial navigation system.
It is meant to be used in ‘endo-atmospheric conditions’ (with in 50 km altitude of earth’s surface).
This is the fourth time that the DRDO has tested its intercepting missile. The three previous tests were conducted on November 27, 2006, December 6, 2007 and March 6, 2009 from Wheeler Island. (ANI)
- India's ballistic missile interceptor successfully tested (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor (Second Lead) (With Images) - Mar 06, 2011
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- India tests nuke capable Prithvi II missile - Jun 09, 2011
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor - Feb 10, 2012
- India successfully tests interceptor missile defence system - Mar 06, 2011
- India successfully tests missile interceptor - Mar 06, 2011
- Prithvi-II missile fails to take off - Sep 24, 2010
- India's ballistic missile defence shield test fails - Mar 15, 2010
- India, Pakistan test nuke-tipped missiles on same day (Third Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Prithvi-II, Dhanush missiles test fired successfully - Mar 11, 2011
- Prithvi-II ballistic missile successfully test-fired - Dec 22, 2010
- India successfully test-fires n-capable Prithvi II, Dhanush missiles (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India successfully tests Prithvi-II missile (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: air defence, altitude, atmospheric conditions, balasore, ballistic missile, chandipur, drdo, endo, inertial navigation system, interceptor missile, itr, launch, missile interceptor, mobile launcher, orissa, solid rocket, target missile, test fires, test range, wheeler island