India signs safeguards agreement with IAEAFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 11:33 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb.2 (ANI): India on Monday signed a crucial safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to begin the nuclear commerce.
The agreement will allow New Delhi to access nuclear reactors and uranium from the United States, France, Russia and other countries willing to enter into civil nuclear cooperation with India.
The spokesperson of the Department of Atomic Energy, S. K. Malhotra told media that the agreement was already approved by the IAEA in last October.
The pact between the government of India and the UN atomic watchdog for the ”Application of Safeguards to Civilian Nuclear Facilities” was inked here by IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei and Indian Amabassador Saurabh Kumar.
India currently applies inspection by the IAEA in six civilian nuclear reactors under safeguards agreements concluded between 1971 and 1994.
In future, additional reactors are expected to be brought under IAEA safeguards under the newly-signed agreement.
“The safeguards agreement, which is the result of several rounds of consultations conducted between India and the IAEA since November 2007, was approved by the IAEA Board of Governors in August 2008,” the IAEA said in a statement. (ANI)
- India, IAEA sign safeguards accord (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- India to ink safeguards pact with IAEA - Feb 02, 2009
- Peer review needed for all nuke reactors: ElBaradei - Mar 19, 2011
- India honours ElBaradei with Indira Gandhi Prize - Sep 30, 2009
- El-Baradei was 'too soft on Tehran', says WikiLeaks cable - Feb 10, 2011
- Iran uses new machines to enrich uranium: IAEA - Aug 10, 2010
- US certifies India-IAEA Safeguards Agreement on civil n-facilities - Feb 04, 2010
- Careful note taken of IAEA resolution on Iran, say official sources - Nov 27, 2009
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- Areva, NPCIL to sign deal for new reactors Wednesday - Feb 03, 2009
- Russia ready to give uranium for global n-fuel bank - Mar 09, 2010
- India to sign a nuke safeguards agreement with IAEA - Jan 31, 2009
- IAEA to meet Iran over access to n-site - Jun 04, 2012
- Egypt crisis: US sizing up ex-IAEA chief El-Baradei - Feb 01, 2011
- IAEA informed about new N-plant in Pakistan: China - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: atomic energy agency, board of governors, feb 2, government of india, iaea director general, india signs, international atomic energy, international atomic energy agency, international atomic energy agency iaea, malhotra, mohamed elbaradei, New Delhi, nuclear commerce, nuclear cooperation, nuclear facilities, nuclear reactors, safeguards agreement, saurabh kumar, spokesperson, watchdog