India signs 1.4 US million air defence deal with IsraelMarch 27th, 2009 - 6:58 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 27 (ANI): India has signed a 1.4 million dollar air defence deal with Israel for the purchase and joint development of an air defence system.
The Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has officially acknowledged that the defence deal between the two nations was signed on February 27.
However, Indian Defence Ministry is yet to confirm the deal officially.
According to business daily ‘Globes’, under this deal, Israel will create and manufacture sea-borne and shore-based systems against missile attacks on India.
India itself has achieved success in developing a powerful missile in the same class. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has recently been successful in test firing Advance Air Defence (AAD) missile. India is currently Israel’s largest arms buyer.
The two sides have even discussed on the schedule of payments. It has been agreed that part of the payment for the systems will be made during the development period and the balance will be paid during the 66-month delivery period, which is slated to begin 90 months from the date the advance payment is received.
The IAI is also likely to obtain military or aviation products and services from India. It is said that Israel will invest an amount of almost 30 per cent of the contract in Indian defence companies. (ANI)
- India, Israel ink $1.4 bn anti-missile system deal - Mar 27, 2009
- Israel to test missile defence system - Mar 02, 2012
- India to test 5,000-km intercontinental ballistic missile by year-end - Jun 03, 2011
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- India's ballistic missile defence shield test fails - Mar 15, 2010
- Israel, Italy ink deal for military aircraft - Jul 20, 2012
- Israel to test next-generation missile defense system - Mar 02, 2012
- NATO offers missile defence cooperation to India - Sep 04, 2011
- Israel bars AESA radar export to India - Jan 14, 2011
- India and Israel in anti-terror front (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- India, Israel discuss cooperation against terror - Dec 22, 2009
- Left urges PM to cancel defence deal with Israel - Feb 10, 2009
- Prahlada to now head defence institute - Aug 11, 2011
- India successfully test-fires missile interceptor (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- India successfully test-fires interceptor missile in Orissa - Jul 26, 2010
Tags: advance payment, aerospace industries, air defence system, aviation products, defence companies, defence ministry, defence research, delivery period, development organisation, development period, drdo, globes, iai, india india, india signs, indian defence, missile attacks, New Delhi, research and development, schedule of payments