India sends peacekeeping troops to LebanonJanuary 19th, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 19 (ANI): A unit of the Army contingent left on UN peace keeping mission to Lebanon from here on Monday.
Third largest contributor to UN peacekeeping operations, India is sending its second battalion of the Dogra regiment to Lebanon.
Deputy Chief of the Army Staff, SPS Dhillon told reporters that the unit had been deployed under Chapter six of the Unites Nations-Peacekeeping to ease the tensions in the region.
“The same unit was in Ethiopia earlier, now it is going to Lebanon. It would be a peacekeeping mission under chapter 6 of the United Nations and not chapter 7 i.e. peace enforcement mission. There is some tension between the two nations there (Israel and Lebanon) that and the aim is to ease that,” said Dhillon.
Last year, India had sent an infantry battalion which had the responsibility for the eastern position of South Lebanon.
India, as a founder member of the United Nations, has been a firm supporter of the United Nations. So far, India has taken part in 43 peacekeeping missions with more than 90,000 troops all over the world in various countries like Korea, Congo, Gaza, Somalia, Lebanon and Sudan.
The first deployment was to Korea in 1953-54. Presently, India has deployed 8,875 personnel in UN peacekeeping operations worldwide. India has provided 12 Force Commanders to various UN Missions.
U.N. peacekeeping force had urged Lebanon and Israel to exercise restraint after at least three rockets were fired into northern Israel from Lebanon last week.
Israel fought a month-long war in 2006 against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon. Hezbollah has denied responsibility for last week’’s rocket attacks against Israel. (ANI)
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Pallam Raju meets Indian peacekeepers in Lebanon - Sep 12, 2008
- Pallam Raju to visit Indian peacekeepers in Lebanon - Sep 08, 2008
- Pakistan second-largest troop contributor to UN - Jun 03, 2012
- Non-state actors make peacekeeping more challenging: Army chief - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian peacekeepers honoured in Haiti - May 11, 2012
- Spain takes charge of UN mission in Lebanon - Jan 29, 2010
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Three killed Indian peacekeepers to be honoured - May 25, 2012
- UN to discuss Israel-Lebanon border incident - Aug 05, 2010
- Bangladesh peacekeeper shot at in Ivory Coast - Apr 12, 2011
- Pakistan seeks support for UNSC seat - Sep 28, 2011
- India to focus on UN peacekeeping during presidency - Aug 03, 2011
- UN Security Council condemns attack on UN mission in Lebanon - May 28, 2011
Tags: army staff, chapter six, deputy chief, dhillon, dogra regiment, force commanders, founder member, hezbollah, infantry battalion, jan 19, northern israel, peace enforcement, peacekeeping force, peacekeeping mission, peacekeeping missions, peacekeeping troops, rocket attacks, south lebanon, sps, un peacekeeping operations