India seeks flag meeting with Pak over indiscriminate firing in UriMarch 21st, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 21 (ANI): The Indian Army has asked for a flag meeting after Pakistani troops reportedly fired throughout the night at Indian posts in the Uri sector of Jammu and Kashmir.
Pakistan authorities are yet to respond.
The Pakistan army indulged in a major breach of ceasefire, and fired between 1500 to 2000 rounds at Indian posts in the Kamalkote area of the Uri sector between 10:00 p.m. on Friday night and 3:00 a.m. on Saturday morning.
The firing has left a 10 JAK rifles soldier Lance Naik Prakash Singh injured.
Singh, who has been shifted to an Army Base Hospital, revealed that the firing from across the border was unprovoked.
According to officials, Pakistani troops fired to provide cover to militants to infiltrate into Indian territory.
Three militants were killed in a gunbattle, which is continuing in the Drangyari area in frontier district of Kupwara since yesterday.
India and Pakistan had declared a ceasefire on the borders of the two countries in November 2003.
However, according to Indian officials, the ceasefire has been violated 58 times since it was announced. Last year, there were 34 incidents of ceasefire violation. (ANI)
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistani Rangers fire at Indian posts in Jammu - Aug 06, 2012
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Artillery exchanges between India and Pakistan on LoC - Sep 01, 2011
- BSF trooper injured in cross-border firing near Jammu - Aug 11, 2012
- Army Major, four militants killed in J-K gunbattle - Mar 22, 2009
- Pakistani troops violate ceasefire in Kashmir - Dec 29, 2010
- One soldier killed after India, Pakistan exchange border fire - May 15, 2011
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Pakistan Army, Rangers fire on Indian posts on LoC, border (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan fires at Indian border post - Aug 15, 2011
- Indian Army lodges protest over LoC firing (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: army base, borders, breach, ceasefire, friday night, frontier district, gunbattle, india and pakistan, indian army, indian officials, indian territory, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, naik, New Delhi, pakistan army, pakistani troops, prakash, rifles, saturday morning