India releases eight Pakistani prisoners at Wagah check postMarch 8th, 2011 - 8:47 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Wagah, Mar 8 (ANI): The Border Security Force (BSF) on Tuesday handed over eight Pakistani prisoners to the Pakistani Rangers at the Wagah joint check post.
Seven of the Pakistani prisoners were fishermen and were arrested by the Indian maritime force on charges on inadvertent crossing into Indian territory. One prisoner named Sikender Khan was arrested in Jammu and Kashmir.The prisoners were released after completion of their jail term.
Before crossing into their home country, the prisoners appealed to the governments of India and Pakistan to release those who have been languishing in various jails of both countries.Three years ago India and Pakistan constituted a joint judicial committee to look into the issue of prisoners from two countries.
However a considerable number of Indian and Pakistani prisoners are waiting for their release even after the completion of their jail terms. (ANI)
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- Pakistan releases second batch of 100 Indian fishermen - Sep 03, 2010
- India releases 20 Pakistani prisoners at Wagah check post - Mar 01, 2011
- Pak releases last batch of Indian fishermen - Sep 07, 2010
- 101 Indian fishermen return home from Pak through Wagah land route - Sep 05, 2010
- Pakistan to release 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 11, 2011
- India repatriates 31 Pakistani fishermen - Jan 02, 2010
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Surjeet freed, to come home via Wagah (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 28, 2012
- 64 Pakistani prisoners repatriated - Nov 10, 2010
- 14 Indians released from Karachi jail - Jul 28, 2011
- Pakistan releases 18 Indian fishermen - May 23, 2012
- India hands over four Pakistani prisoners at Wagah border - Jun 30, 2010
- 180 Indian prisoners freed from Karachi jail - Jan 07, 2012
- India-Pakistan border guards meet at Wagah-Attari check post - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,