India ready to play its part in overcoming ongoing global slowdown: SinghJune 15th, 2009 - 5:02 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 15 (ANI): The Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on Monday said that India, as one of the fastest growing economies among BRIC members, was ready to play its part in coordinating international efforts to overcome the ongoing financial and economic slowdown.
In a statement issued before his departure for Russia to attend two multilateral summits - the Brazil-Russia-India-China (BRIC) summit and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit - Dr. Singh said: “BRIC countries also have a role to play in promoting the principle of multilateralism in international affairs, and in the reform of institutions of global governance, including the United Nations, to reflect contemporary realities. From these points of view, the convening of the first stand-alone summit of BRIC countries is a significant development.”
“I will also be attending the Summit meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) for the first time. India has been an observer of the SCO since 2005. My decision to attend the Summit is a reflection of the high regard we have for Russia’s Presidency of the SCO, and our desire to intensify our engagement with countries of our extended neighbourhood in Central Asia,” he added.
The two summits are being held in Yekatarinburg.
The countries of Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) together account for 40 percent of the world’s population and 40 percent of global Gross Domestic Product.
Dr. Singh said the BRIC grouping has the potential to lead global economic growth.
He also said that he would use his visit to discuss other issues such as the fight against terrorism and extremism and cooperation in areas of energy security, infrastructure development, agriculture, transportation, science and technology and education.
He said both India and the SCO stand to gain considerably from each other through such cooperation. (ANI)
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- Manmohan Singh arrives in China for BRICS summit - Apr 12, 2011
- BRIC has potential to lead economic growth: PM - Jun 15, 2009
- Manmohan Singh to discuss Arab and North Africa unrest at BRICS summit - Apr 11, 2011
- BRICS regrets force, but doesn't oppose air strikes in Libya (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2011
- PM leaves for US, Brazil -- to attend summits (Lead) - Apr 10, 2010
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrives in Yekaterinburg city - Jun 15, 2009
- India, China, Russia pitch for Afghan stability; back dialogue on Syria (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- India ups SCO sales pitch - Jun 07, 2012
- BRICS countries continue to enjoy strong, sustained economic growth - Apr 14, 2011
- PM to leave for Russia summits today - Jun 15, 2009
- BRICS to sign unique pact at Sanya to use own currencies for lending and grants - Apr 13, 2011
- Krishna to attend RIC ministerial meeting in China - Nov 14, 2010
- BRICS to set up joint bank, backs dialogue on Iran, Syria (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2012
- Hu to attend Nuclear Security and BRICS summits, visit Cambodia - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: dr manmohan singh, dr singh, economic slowdown, energy security, global economic growth, global governance, global gross domestic product, global slowdown, india china, infrastructure development, international efforts, manmohan singh, multilateralism, security infrastructure, shanghai cooperation organization, shanghai cooperation organization sco, summit dr, summit meeting, time india, transportation science