India plans to buy 312 light helicoptersApril 9th, 2008 - 5:18 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 9 (ANI): The Defence Ministry is planning to invite international bids for the purchase of 312 light helicopters.
India is acquiring these helicopters to provide its forces logistics support on the icy heights of the Siachen Glacier and to increase its capability of rapid deployment.
Out of these 312 helicopters, which are estimated to be worth over two billion dollars, 197 are meant for the Army Aviation Corp, and the remaining 115 are for the Air Force.
Tenders for these helicopters are expected to be floated in the next few days.
The main bidders for these tenders are expected to be American helicopter major Bell, European arms major European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), Russia’s Kamov and Italian Augusta Westland. Defence Secretary Vijay Singh said: “These choppers are being inducted to enhance the operational capability of the armed forces in the high Himalayan frontiers.
According to official sources, the new helicopters are being inducted to replace Indian Air Force (IAF)’s and Armys ageing fleet of French-acquired Chetak and Cheetah helicopters which have been operating now for over three decades. (ANI)
- Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppers - Aug 10, 2012
- IAF chopper fleet to fly high with 300 new machines - Mar 03, 2011
- Attack choppers to add teeth to Indian Army's strike corps (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- India set to decide major military aircraft deals - Jun 16, 2011
- Defence modernisation: Critical deals materialised, others faced time overruns (2011 in retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- New planes' induction will reduce air crashes: Antony - Feb 05, 2011
- IAF pilots training on VIP helicopters in Britain (With Images) - Jul 17, 2012
- 'Protectionism won't benefit Indian defence industry' - Mar 30, 2012
- IAF expects combat jet selection within a year - Aug 04, 2010
- Latest Russian chopper to join IAF (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- IAF MiG crashes, pilot safe (Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- India to induct latest Russian military chopper (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Timeline for India's combat jet deal - Apr 28, 2011
- India gives Cheetah helicopter to Namibian Air Force, two Chetaks in pipeline - Feb 10, 2011
- Tender for 197 military helicopters to be floated Thursday - Jul 23, 2008
Tags: army aviation, armys, augusta westland, aviation corp, cheetah, chetak, defence ministry, defence secretary, eads, european aeronautic defence, european aeronautic defence and space company, indian air force, kamov, light helicopters, logistics support, operational capability, rapid deployment, siachen glacier, three decades, vijay singh