India, Pakistan to discuss cross-LoC CBMs soonJune 27th, 2008 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) India and Pakistan will hold talks on further confidence-building measures (CBMs) to initiate more truck services across the Line of Control (LoC) and to open more entry-exit points along it. A senior Indian official said Thursday that New Delhi had several proposals for boosting people-to-people exchanges and trade across the LoC by increasing frequency of trucks and bus services as well as opening more points.
“We are trying to fix up a date soon for a meeting of a group on LoC CBMs,” he said, adding that the meeting will be held after Pakistan Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi’s visit here.
Qureshi arrives in India Friday for a four-day visit, during which he will visit Delhi, Chandigarh, Jaipur and Ajmer.
On a revised visa agreement, the official said there was “need for a proper visa structure”.
“Unless you change the very thrust (of the current visa regime with its) police verification, limited city, exit entry points, it does not really help,” he said.
The official said that India’s stress is on a “liberalised visa regime”.
“We are also proposing new categories like group visa, student visa and pilgrim visa,” he said, noting that India grants 100,000 visas in Pakistan every year.
On the current status of bilateral relations, the official said: “We are at a happy stage that we are meeting every month and at every level.”
He added that India might seek clarification on the status of the Indian prisoner on death row in Pakistan, Sarabjit Singh. “We have not got any clarity on Sarabjit yet,” he said.
- India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for Kashmir - Jul 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss cross-Kashmir CBMs, terror (Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Pakistan, India must prevent 'tripping of nuclear wire': daily - Dec 29, 2011
- India, Pakistan hope to move forward, finalise CBMs (Night Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan foreign secretaries to hold talks Tuesday - Jul 25, 2011
- Remove heavy guns from LoC: Pakistan proposes to India - Dec 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- India, Pakistan to fight terror in 'new era' of ties (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Cross-Kashmir CBMs ahead of India, Pakistan talks - Jul 16, 2011
- Indian, Pakistani foreign secretaries begin talks - Jul 26, 2011
- India asks Pakistan for 'satisfactory closure' of 26/11 trial - Jun 24, 2011
- India, Pakistan firm up cross-Kashmir CBMs, discuss terror (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan agree on cross-Kashmir linkages, set positive tone (Evening Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan talks on CBMs Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: ajmer, bilateral relations, bus services, cbms, chandigarh, confidence building, entry exit, exit points, foreign minister, group visa, india and pakistan, india pakistan, jaipur, mahmood qureshi, makhdoom, proper visa, shah mahmood, student visa, visa regime, visa student