India, Pakistan finalise modalities for cross-LoC tradeSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) India and Pakistan Monday finalised the modalities for starting trade across the Line of Control (LoC) dividing Kashmir.This was decided at a day-long meeting of the joint working group on cross-LoC Confidence Building Measures here, after which a joint press statement was issued.
While the Indian delegation was led by the external affairs ministry’s Joint Secretary T.C.A. Raghavan, the Pakistan side was headed by the foreign affairs ministry’s Additional Secretary Aizaz Ahmed Choudhary.
“The modalities of cross-LoC trade were finalised,” said the joint press release, adding that the meeting had been “cordial”.
The modalities relate to trade on two routes, the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad route and the Poonch-Rawlakot route, while a third one, the Kargil-Skardu route, is still under negotiation.
While the idea of cross-LoC trade had been first mooted in 2005, the practical steps required to put it into fruition had not been agreed upon so far, with Indian officials contending that Pakistan was stalling the move.
Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon expressed this disappointment Friday, when he regretted Pakistan’s dilly-dallying over reciprocating India’s gesture of hosting businessmen from the Indian side of Kashmir.
A day later, President Asif Ali Zardari in his speech to parliament indicated the new Pakistani regime’s readiness to start cross-border trade. “As a new initiative, we will start a cross-LoC trade as a pioneering CBM in Kashmir,” he said Saturday.
- Kashmir mulls re-opening of other pre-Partition routes - Mar 31, 2011
- India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for Kashmir - Jul 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan firm up new cross-Kashmir CBMs - Jul 18, 2011
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Mufti demands hassle-free cross-LoC trade - May 22, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir CBMs ahead of India, Pakistan talks - Jul 16, 2011
- India asks Pakistan for 'satisfactory closure' of 26/11 trial - Jun 24, 2011
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir gets ready for cross LoC trade - Sep 26, 2008
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- Pakistan to continue support to Kashmir cause: Ashraf (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, confidence building, external affairs ministry, foreign affairs ministry, india and pakistan, india pakistan, indian delegation, indian officials, joint working group, pakistan side