India, Pakistan continue talks on nuclear CBMs’November 14th, 2007 - 2:31 am ICT by admin
Khalid Aziz Babar, who is the Additional Secretary (UN and EC) in their Foreign Affairs Ministry, is leading the Pakistani side.
Today’s meet will focus on reviewing of the implementation of existing agreements and security issues in multilateral fora. Existing nuclear Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) will also be discussed.
India and Pakistan on Thursday reiterated their commitment to uphold the four-year old ceasefire agreement in place between the two countries.
A joint statement issued after day one of the talks said that discussions were held in “a cordial and constructive atmosphere,” and the progress made in today’s talks would be reported to the respective foreign secretaries.
As mandated by the respective Foreign Secretaries, the two sides reviewed the implementation of the existing CBMs.
“Consultations continued with the aim of strengthening the ongoing process of confidence building in the conventional field,” said the joint statement.
Both sides are expected to review the progress made in the implementation of existing agreements and security issues.
The meeting that will be the fifth round of talks on convention and nuclear CBMs will focus on modalities to improve the level of trust between India and Pakistan in the field of non-conventional weapons.
The last round of talks on nuclear as well as conventional CBMs were held in April 2006 in Islamabad.
Islamabad and New Delhi will also hold second meeting on anti-terrorism mechanism in New Delhi on October 22, a few days after the conclusion of CBMs talks. (ANI)
- India, Pakistan to renew n-accidents pact - Dec 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan experts to meet over nuclear CBMs - Jul 05, 2012
- Pakistan, India hold talks on CBMs - Dec 26, 2011
- India, Pakistan to review CBMs Monday - Dec 24, 2011
- India asks Pakistan to declare its n-doctrine, join FMCT - Dec 29, 2011
- India, Pakistan to discuss conventional, nuke CBMs Monday - Dec 22, 2011
- Remove heavy guns from LoC: Pakistan proposes to India - Dec 27, 2011
- India, Pakistan extend nuke accidents risks accord - Feb 21, 2012
- India, Pakistan talks on CBMs Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- India, Pakistan to announce CBMs on Kashmir, nuclear issues - Jul 08, 2011
- India, Pakistan exchange n-facilities list (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- India ups pressure on Pakistan over Jindal, no dossier shared (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Highlights of India, Pakistan joint statement - Jul 27, 2011
- India ups pressure on 26/11 disclosures, discusses Kashmir with Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Day 2 of talks: India and Pakistan discuss Kashmir - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: agreements, aim, cbms, ceasefire agreement, confidence building, constructive atmosphere, conventional field, conventional weapons, foreign affairs ministry, implementation, india and pakistan, india pakistan, islamabad, khalid aziz, ministry of external affairs, multilateral fora, New Delhi, pakistani side, secretaries, security issues