India, Pak likely to launch cross-border trade from next monthSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 7:52 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Sept.22 (ANI): India and Pakistan have reportedly finalised the modalities for facilitating cross-border trade through the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad and Poonch-Rawalkot routes from next month.
Officials of the two countries finalised the modalities on Monday, including the list of items that would be traded. A final decision on when this trade along these two routes will start, will be taken after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh meets Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari in New York.
“We have finalised the modalities… We will submit it to our principals, our bosses.. Hopefully, it will work out,” Pakistan’’s Additional Secretary Aijaz Ahmed Chowdhury told reporters here after the meeting.
In July, Foreign Secretaries of the two countries — Salman Bashir and Shiv Shankar Menon — had exchanged lists of commodities with zero tariff regime and to begin implementation, each side had agreed to indicate the items they were willing to receive.
A delegation of Chambers of Commerce from Muzaffarabad is expected to undertake a visit to Srinagar and Jammu after a month to discuss various aspects related to the trade, sources close to Monday’’s negotiations here, said.
The meeting of the Chambers of the two sides is essential as they actually have to engage in trade, they said.
India has been keen on launching the cross-LoC trade since the bus service was launched on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad route in April 2005 but the two countries had so far failed to reach a consensus on issues like items to be traded.
Pakistan also has been non-cooperative in enabling Chambers of Commerce of Srinagar and Muzaffarabad preventing them from discussing modalities for trade.
In fact, India had invited business delegation from Muzaffarabad to visit Srinagar and Jammu from on Monday but there was no response from the other side. Pakistan has on Monday agreed to send the delegation after a month. (ANI with inputs)
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- First trade consignment across Kashmir border would be 'gifts' - Oct 18, 2008
- India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for Kashmir - Jul 19, 2012
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Shun terror for talks, PM tells separatists, Pakistan (Roundup) - Jun 07, 2010
- Trade across Line of Control picking up - Mar 23, 2010
- Rs.50 mn sanctioned for cross-LoC trade infrastructure - Sep 26, 2008
- Cross-LOC trade declining on Poonch route - Aug 27, 2012
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir gets ready for cross LoC trade - Sep 26, 2008
Tags: asif ali zardari, bashir, border trade, bus service, business delegation, chambers of commerce, chowdhury, final decision, india and pakistan, manmohan, manmohan singh, modalities, muzaffarabad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, principals, secretaries, shiv shankar menon, tariff regime, trade sources