India-New Zealand FTA negotiations soonFebruary 20th, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 20 (ANI): Union Commerce and Industry Minister Kamal Nath, and his New Zealand counterpart Tim Groser today agreed on the need for an early commencement of Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations between both countries.
During a bilateral meeting here, both Ministers noted that the Joint Study Group (JSG) Report demonstrates considerable potential to substantially develop bilateral trade and an economic relationship through the FTA.
Nath said during 2007-08, India’’s exports to New Zealand was valued at 159 million dollars and imports from New Zealand were 336 million dollars taking the total trade to around 0.5 billion dollars.
“In the current financial year, the bilateral trade has already reached 394 million dollars in the first seven months at a growth rate of 40 per cent,” he added.
On the WTO Doha Round negotiations, Nath emphasised that India has been engaging constructively and actively with other fellow member countries for an early conclusion, provided the developed countries are willing to show necessary flexibility.
“It is expected that based on these negotiations, further revised texts would be brought out during March-April 2009,” he added
Major items of India’’s exports to New Zealand are gems and jewellery, medicines, textiles, iron and steel products tyres and parts of aeroplanes/helicopters. Major items of New Zealand’’s exports are coal, wool, wood, metal waste/scrap, and raw skins/hides. (ANI)
- FTA would complement Indian reforms: New Zealand minister - Jul 27, 2012
- New Zealand PM embarks on first visit to India - Jun 25, 2011
- New Zealand 'determined' to conclude FTA with India - Apr 24, 2012
- India, Australia to start talks on FTA soon - Jan 24, 2011
- Free trade agreement with New Zealand soon: Anand Sharma - May 10, 2011
- India growing market for New Zealand - Mar 19, 2011
- New Zealand PM to visit India - Jun 13, 2011
- India, New Zealand eye trade pact; discuss IT, agriculture (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- India seeks New Zealand's technology, investment - Jun 28, 2011
- Need for Australian investments in infrastructure sector: Anand Sharma - Jan 24, 2011
- India-EU trade accord on anvil, 'no compromise' on IPR (Second Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- Mining, energy new areas of Indo-Australian cooperation - May 03, 2010
- India, Australia to collaborate in wool production and trade - May 02, 2012
- New Zealand PM hopeful of FTA with India by 2012 (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- India, New Zealand eye early trade pact, launch education initiative - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: bilateral trade, billion dollars, counterpart, developed countries, economic relationship, emphasised, fellow member, free trade agreement, fta, groser, helicopters, industry minister, iron and steel, kamal nath, member countries, necessary flexibility, raw skins, seven months, steel products, wto doha