India needs another green revolution, says President PatilFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 3:58 pm ICT by ANI
Tumkur (Karnataka), Feb 2 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil today stressed the need for food security for growing population and said that there was need for another green revolution.
Speaking on the occasion of birth centenary celebrations of Siddaganga Math pontiff Dr. Shiv Kumar Swamiji here, she called upon the scientists and researchers to find ways to augment agricultural productivity.
President Patil recalled the yeomen services of centenarian Dr. Shiv Kumar Swamiji in providing food shelter and education to save thousands of children from underprivileged families for several decades.
The President also applauded the contribution of Swamiji in starting 45 educational institutions all over the country.
She advocated a fresh look by the government at the population policy, citing China’’s example.
“As China has stabilised its population, it is expected that we will surpass the population of China. Therefore, we may need to look at our population policy. To feed this population, steps must be taken to ensure that food availability is increased and that can only happen if food production and productivity are augmented, she said.
“Productivity can be enhanced by making available to our farmers better seeds, necessary irrigation facilities and marketing linkages. Scientists must constantly work with farmers to acquaint them with better agricultural practices and at the same time our research efforts in the field of agriculture must continue,” she added.
We need to have another Green Revolution, which will be an ever green revolution where agricultural production would be on a continuous upward curve, Patil said.
In rural areas, health and education facilities are limited. It is important to create awareness among the people on various socio- economic issues. I would urge social workers to create awareness amongst the population living in rural areas, to extend them support in capacity building and to guide them about the various Government schemes designed for their welfare, she added. (ANI)
- Second green revolution needed for food security: President - Aug 06, 2011
- Need to integrate agriculture with other sectors: President - Nov 09, 2011
- 100 mn more face starvation due food price rise: President - Feb 02, 2009
- Increasing farm productivity key to food security: Thomas - Sep 15, 2011
- President calls for agricultural renaissance - Feb 13, 2010
- President wants more technology used in farming - Aug 14, 2011
- Revive agriculture urgently, says president's aide - Feb 16, 2012
- Zero tolerance for terror, preventive action against graft: President - Oct 29, 2011
- Bridge infrastructural deficit: President - Aug 14, 2010
- Quality, affordable healthcare for all necessary: Patil - Jan 25, 2012
- Innovation can make India food basket of world: Scindia - Feb 13, 2011
- Patil calls for farm-corporate tie-up for Green Revolution - Oct 28, 2010
- President calls for constructive approach to JPC impasse (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- India needs another farm revolution: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Price rise issue of serious concern, says President Patil - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: agricultural practices, agricultural production, agricultural productivity, centenary celebrations, economic issues, education facilities, educational institutions, food availability, food production, food shelter, green revolution, irrigation facilities, pontiff, population of china, population policy, research efforts, shiv kumar, tumkur, underprivileged families, upward curve