India needs a higher education commission: Sam PitrodaJune 17th, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 17 (ANI): Knowledge Commission Chairman Sam Pitroda on Wednesday stressed on the importance of a single regulatory body to decide matters pertaining to higher education.
“I think in higher education what we really need is now some kind of a higher education commission, council, regulatory authority to create level playing field. To have one body deciding everything about education and not have this fragmented silos,” noted Pitroda.
Pitroda said the nation’s education system needed to be upgraded to incorporate new technology into the system.
“I would say all our new initiatives in education should keep in mind new technology, new material to teach. We have been teaching same thing over and again for hundred of years. Our content has changed. We need to make our content more relevant, more useful. We need to put more soft skills. We need more general knowledge because today everything is more multi disciplinary,” said Pitroda.
Underlining the importance of vocational education, Pitroda observed that technical training was vital in generating employment.
“Vocational education is the key. We really need to create jobs for our young people. We need to train them properly. We need to use education in an effective way for them to carve out a better future for our young people,” said Pitroda.
Though the enrolment figures have been rising over the years in higher education sector, these vary widely across different states of the nation.
The differences are not only linked to variation in government expenditure on higher education, but also to the per capita income, percentage of people below poverty line and the extent of urbanization in different states.
Generally, states with higher enrolment in universities and colleges are those with higher ratio of urban population and a lower percentage of population below the poverty line. (ANI)
- Need to deregulate education: Sam Pitroda - Oct 28, 2010
- India's knowledge sector great opportunity for NRIs: Pitroda - Jan 08, 2010
- Indian universities must become hub of research: Sam Pitroda - Dec 17, 2009
- 'Reforms in higher education vital for economic growth' - Nov 12, 2011
- Pitroda has drawn up projects to change face of Kerala: Chief Minister - May 15, 2012
- Entitlements will not be linked to poverty line: Planning Commission - Mar 20, 2012
- Text of PM'S Independence Day Speech - Aug 15, 2011
- Hamid Ansari calls for more funds for State Universities to improve higher education - Dec 20, 2010
- Bengal needs to innovate, says Sam Pitroda - Jul 16, 2011
- More literacy, but improve education quality too: Experts - Apr 10, 2011
- Need national leaders from science, engineering: PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Create knowledge systems, not learning systems: UGC - Feb 14, 2012
- Pitroda creation creates waves in mobile commerce market - Aug 06, 2011
- Programme to train 150 million school drop-outs - Oct 08, 2011
- Raising poverty line will hamper poverty alleviation: Sen - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: better future, commission chairman, education system, enrolment figures, general knowledge, government expenditure, higher education commission, higher education sector, income percentage, multi disciplinary, per capita income, poverty line, regulatory authority, regulatory body, s education, sam pitroda, silos, urban population, urbanization, vocational education