India Navy defends sinking of pirates-captured shipNovember 26th, 2008 - 7:19 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi,Nov.26 (ANI): The Indian Navy has defended its action in sinking a pirate ship in the Gulf of Aden waters near Somalia.
The pirate ship was originally a Thai fishing boat.
The Ekawat Nava 5 was captured by pirates on November 18 and the crew was tied up, the BBC quoted officials of the International Maritime Bureau, as saying.
The Indian Navy claimed that the ship was a pirate vessel in “description and intent” and it had opened fire first on the INS Tabar .
At least one crewperson was discovered alive after remaining adrift for six days. Fourteen others are still missing.
India is one of several countries currently patrolling the Gulf of Aden, one of the world’’s busiest shipping lanes, amid increasing attacks by Somali pirates.
Almost 40 ships have been seized this year, the biggest being the Saudi oil tanker, Sirius Star, which is still being held off the Somali coast. (ANI)
- 26 sailors rescued from Somali pirates - Jul 18, 2012
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- India probing Somali pirates' terror links - Jan 31, 2011
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- India mulls law to battle sea pirates - Mar 12, 2011
- Two daring naval raids may change tactics to fight Somali pirates - Jan 24, 2011
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- Sinking pirate vessel was within law: Navy chief - Dec 02, 2008
- Thailand seeks clarification from India on sinking of 'pirate' ship - Nov 26, 2008
- India to scale up military presence in Gulf of Aden (Roundup, changing dateline, combining different series) - Nov 20, 2008
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Iranian Navy rescues supertanker from Somali pirates - Apr 23, 2010
- Indian Navy ship sinks pirate vessel off Somalia (Second Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
Tags: bbc, fishing boat, gulf of aden, India, indian navy, ins, international maritime bureau, New Delhi, oil tanker, pirate ship, saudi oil, shipping lanes, ships, six days, somali coast, somali pirates, somalia