India must manage energy demand efficiently: ShindeMay 5th, 2010 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 5 (ANI): Union Minister of Power Sushilkumar Shinde has said that demand for energy in India will keep increasing because of accelerated industrialization, urbanization and an growing economy.
Addressing a national seminar organised by FICCI here, Shinde said: ” Energy efficiency across all sectors of the economy is essential for decoupling growth in energy demand from economic growth while ensuring that India’s energy demands are managed efficiently.
“The need of the hour is to have a more vigorous and focused national awareness campaign to meet the desired objective of reducing the energy intensity of the country,” he added.
He further said that the Government of India has put in place an overarching legal, regulatory and policy framework to promote market based energy efficiency in the Indian economy.
He also informed the that the Bachat Lamp Yojana is the world’s largest Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) project to get approved by the CDM Executive Board of UNFCCC at Bonn, Germany.
According to the scheme, BEE plans to replace 400 million power-consuming incandescent lamps with energy saving CFL bulbs across the country, that will cost the consumers Rs 15 a piece.
The replacement of the ICLs by CFLs would lead to a potential reduction of over 6,000 MW in electricity demand. (ANI)
- Campaign to promote fluorescent lamps - Jul 07, 2011
- India to install 400 million power saver lamps - Sep 21, 2010
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- LED bulbs to sell cheap in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Chandigarh to launch project to popularise CFLs - Feb 17, 2010
- Himachal launches green policy on used CFL lamps - Dec 11, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bans incandescent bulbs to save power - Aug 20, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh could save 1,080 MW with CFLs: Official (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh to subsidise CFLs for consumers - Jun 13, 2010
- Himachal saves Rs.1 bn-worth power through CFLs - Jan 03, 2010
- He dispels darkness through solar lamps (With photo) - Aug 20, 2012
- Karnataka mulls mandatory use of CFL bulbs - Feb 28, 2011
- Mercury makes eco-bulbs 'a health hazard for babies and pregnant' - Dec 23, 2010
- Karunanidhi orders flying squads to detect power thefts - Oct 05, 2010
- Compact fluorescent energy saving lamp 'better than incandescent bulbs' - Oct 23, 2010
Tags: bonn germany, cfl bulbs, clean development mechanism, electricity demand, energy demand, energy demands, energy efficiency, energy intensity, government of india, incandescent lamps, indian economy, industrialization, national awareness campaign, national seminar, policy framework, sectors of the economy, unfccc, union minister, urbanization, yojana