India, Maldives to tackle sea-borne terrorismFebruary 4th, 2009 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 4 (ANI): India and Maldives will work together to meet the threat of sea-borne terrorism.
This emerged during a meeting between Defence Minister AK Antony and the visiting Minister of Defence and National Security of Maldives, Ameen Faisal here.
Antony assured the Maldivian leader of India’’s continued support to the island nation in meeting all its security and development needs.
He said that the strategic interests of India and Maldives are interlinked and that New Delhi was keen to strengthen and expand the defence relations between the two countries in the coming years.
The two leaders agreed that we have a joint interest in the security of the sea-lanes of communication. They also decided to enhance training and joint exercises.
The Indian Army conducts a joint exercise ”Ekueuvrin” with the Maldivian National Defence Forces on counter-terrorism. The Indian Coast Guard also conducts an exercise on maritime rescue operations and patrolling of seas around Maldives called ”Dosti”.
Faisal is leading an eight-member Maldivian delegation on a visit to India from February 1 to 5. (ANI)
- As Chinese influence looms, Antony to visit Maldives - Sep 12, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka, Maldives hold maritime exercise - Apr 24, 2012
- Nasheed meets Manmohan to discuss Maldives future - Apr 23, 2012
- India for navigational freedom in South China Sea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- India asks ADMM Plus for cooperation to secure sea-lanes - Oct 12, 2010
- Antony leaves for Japan to further defence relations - Nov 01, 2011
- India flags maritime troubles with China at meet with Japan - Nov 03, 2011
- Indian warships visit China after six years - Jun 14, 2012
- India eyes Maldives to counter China in Indian Ocean (Lead) - Aug 20, 2009
- Won't do anything that threatens India: Maldives president - Oct 28, 2011
- India to base anti-piracy patrol plane in Maldives - Oct 18, 2011
- Terrorism, piracy top agenda of British navy chief's visit - Jan 29, 2011
- Naval war games close to China beneficial: Antony - Oct 12, 2011
- India, Oman discuss maritime security, terrorism - May 18, 2010
- Amid China's overtures, Manmohan to court Maldives - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: antony, coast guard, counter terrorism, defence minister, defence relations, delegation, dosti, exercise, exercises, faisal, indian army, island nation, maldives, maritime rescue, minister of defence, national defence forces, national security, New Delhi, rescue operations, sea lanes